biggest rim size?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
playaa

biggest rim size?

Post by playaa »

whats biggest rim size for an mx? without sacrificing turning, 18"s? and a good offset to fill the wheel well, and not stick out...
Andrew_Pakula

Re: biggest rim size?

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

18's are the largest you can stick in.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I would stick with 17's personally. I have read that 18's will work, but in some instances they could rub when you make a sharp turn. Plus the price jump is pretty substancial to go from 17's to 18's. Just my opinion.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

you can put in 19's. Tight fit but it can be done and still keep the speedo pretty accurate
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Explain how then..
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Actually-- <p> There IS a guy that has 19's on is MX-3. He has posted pics. <p> Its a Red MX-3 Show car with yellow graphix and the triple projector headlights.<p>I know a few of you guys can see it-- I cant find the link right now... I tried to look for it.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

going mroe than 2 sizes over your stock wheel size can cause suspension problems with yoru ball joints and struts. i wouldn't recomend doing it plus you'l get horrible ride. if you get teh right design they'll look like 18's with the performance over smallter oens
Turbo 2.5l mx3
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

so if what say MX34u is true. then how come when i see Suv's with 22's- 24's on them with messed up suspesion. they only come with 16's and 17's stock if not lower. i know a kid with 20's on a 2001 mustang ha doesn't ahve any problems
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

the only problems they may have is due to the weight of a bigger rim compared to stock it will be harder on some things. Its not as drastic as some think. Its sort of like driving 10 over the speed limit. it puts more wear on your tires than if you were going a different speed. Theres nothing to worry about with changing more than 2 sizes. Due to cost going only 2 sizes is just more logical than going 3 or 4 because on our cars you can get 17's for a decent price but 18's are insane prices and 19's are even more
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

You can go 3 sizes over stock without changing the rolling diameter. So if you go over that, you will have to recalibrate your speedo. Not worth it to me. 17's look great. :shrug:
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

Its all long term effects and it also depends on how hard and how much you drive it. BUT KEEP THIS IN MIND the smaller the wheel the more torque. but you sacrafice top speed just think of those little remote control cars. put little tires on them and FLIP
Turbo 2.5l mx3

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”