KLZE + 55mm K8 t/b + stock exhaust = 125whp

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gro Harlem

KLZE + 55mm K8 t/b + stock exhaust = 125whp

Post by Gro Harlem »

I went to the probetalk dyno meet today. I was expecting to put down 145-150whp and 140-145 torque. Once I got up to the dyno, the car only pulled a pathetic 126.2 @ 5750 hp & 125.0 @5000 torque. Temperature was about 70 degrees and low humidity.

It was dyno'ed on a mustang dynamometer which requires you to enter the weight of the vehicle for it to calculate the power. For some idiotic reason their worthless database says the MX3 V6 weighs 2875 which is 335 lbs. 11.6% more than it actually does. On top of that, they didn't use ANY kind of fan to blow on my radiator which was pretty stupid (and definitely affects the power by a good amount). If you factor in the added weight they entered, my car still only dyno'ed at 140.9 hp and 140.4 torque, still pathetic. It might have got 5-10 more if they had a fan blowing on it, but still, it should be pushing 160 to 170.

BTW: my car has a KL31 camshaft (straight neck) KLZE, custom cold air intake that is routed to the drivers fender, accel wires w/NGK klze plugs, completely stock exhaust & exhaust manifolds, KLZE curved neck manifold w/stock 55mm POS K8 throttle body & a KL36 ecu.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
DavidOS

Re: KLZE + 55mm K8 t/b + stock exhaust = 125whp

Post by DavidOS »

so whats missing then? or what do you think is missing? or what from the k8 do you still have on the ZE? Where do you think your loosing that extra 10 hp?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

It's your throttle body. When I had my k8 throttle body on (Straight neck KLZE IM) an Integra whooped me. Got my 2.5 tb modified and installed, I totally smoked him after that. There is a huge loss of power with the smaller TB, HUGE..
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

stock exhaust???
you mean you still have the little 1.8 piping on the car??
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Gro, did you try looking at Millenia throttle bodies at http://www.car-part.com/ ??? Some junkyards have them listed as cheap as $25.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Yeh, i was kinda weary about ordering one off carpart.com b/c I think they might send a mx6/probe one thinking its teh same thing. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the IAC, but I'm pretty sure our K8 one would swap over.

I'm going to take my chances and order one from one of those junkyards this week sometime. I'm also waiting on those new-design OBX headers that are a direct copy of the hotshot design. APparently they bolt up really well. Once I get the headers, my exhaust will be done as soon as I install them. I already have a JUN titanium muffler, carsound 2.5" free-flow cat & a 2.5" resonator, just need those headers to complete it all.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

doood that frikin sux.... keep eating quiznos subs maybe your numbers will get better
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

Wil,

I actually went to the dyno today too, I was able to put down 136.7 whp and 140ftlbs/tq. I am running ad klde, k8 manifold and k8 tb.

Before you start freaking out seeing the numbers difference between our cars and the fact that you have a stronger motor. You need to remember one thing, You dyno'd on a mustang dyno and i dyno'd on a dynojet dyno. A mustang dyno on average produces 10-20% less hp and torque than a dynojet. The reason is that a mustang dyno uses a brake inside the drums, that help simulate real world driving. Thats the reason they asked you for the cars weight.

BTW, did you get wideband? oh and can you post your dyno printout?

Ill be starting my own thread in a couple of mins so you can compare too.

thanks
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Yeh, most of the probe guys with a few bolt on mods (like intake and catback exhausts) were dyno'ing at around 140-145 at the wheels with their KLDE's. The automatic tranny guys were pushing 133-140 or so, but their weights are closer to being "accurate" (but still overstated by maybe 50-100 lbs).

All I know is the software that comes with the mustang dynamometers is crap. They use teh SAE government "weights" to calculate everything which are so ridiuclously inaccurate it makes me want to puke. I actually was arguing with the owner of the shop while he was showing me the database trying to prove me wrong about my car weighing 2500lbs. I looked at the 97 Ford Aspire, and they listed it as weighing 2475 lbs!!! what the f**k? They weigh abou 2180 if that.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Since you swapped the engine have you done a compression test?
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”