wrong pheno spacers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stang67fb

wrong pheno spacers

Post by stang67fb »

ok well since a few days ago ive been running pheno spacers for the 1.8 on my klze, dont ask me why cause i dont even know. but anyways i took them off and just put the manifold on with a regular gaskget and there is no feeling in power Gains at all. i still hit the same times at the track and everything. and from the looks of it i say the phenos were blocking all kinds of power specially from my top end. but still i have no power AT ALL beyond 6200rpm's. its like the car just cannot breathe at all above 6200. now i used to be able to rev the ****er to 7500 and still have more power than i do now at 6200,WTH is choking my car.i wish i could show you guys what i mean.please help me!....
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS
New Time 13.82 at 101.75 2.205 60ft (RIP beast klze engine)

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: wrong pheno spacers

Post by babyblueMX3 »

wth is chocking your car??? the 1.8 spacers...did you notice the spacers were REALLY smaller than your intake ports? you have the klze intake manifold right with the 1.8 spacers IIRC?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Is the 2nd VRIS opening up? To check stick a piece of paper between the linkage and its stop. IF it moves the paper will come out. IF it doesn't the paper will still be there.

Have you adjusted the TPS and timing?
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

i did the paper test and they both flew out so the vris works also you can feel when they open up. i did a fuel pressure test today and got 35psi at idle and 42psi at WOT which i guess is normal. so the pump isnt the problem.and yes i screw with the tps all the time. seems im tuning it almost everyday. when i use the fan method now though and without the phenos its set at .55 which is kinda low. with the phenos it was at .62 before the fan. anytime after either of those settings now the car revs when in first with the clutch down only a little but enough to be annoying. also i noticed no difference at all at the track moving the tps to .79 with the idle screw up all the way idling at 2500rpms in gear.i ran the same times as before and it still has no power above 6200. it seems like after it hits 5200 you feel the kick from the vris BUT the torque drops off VERY fast to 6000. btw i even tried tying open the VRIS and still have no power up top. so what can it be....Am i the only one with this problem???
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

are you using the K8 throttle body? I am and I know for a fact that is limiting my top end. My car pulls about the same past 6000rpm, when it should be pulling harder and harder.

klze's suck
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

no im using the millenia TB kl47 and yes for some reason i think klze's suck to for now...but i still have faith cause it was fast for a week or 2 even with the k8 manifold and tb and computer it was way faster than it is now. Oh and i found out that the EGR passage that comes from the #5 port of the manifold was blocked up top in the neck of the TB opening prolly causing me to fail emmisons when the car was completly stock and the reason i had no VAcuum leaks when i had it on the ZE. Because isnt it supposed to leak out of the side of the head when its on a klze??
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

There is no port on a KLZE for it to leak out of.

I'm not sure if your saying your engine has this port on the head or doesn't.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
did you notice the spacers were REALLY smaller than your intake ports?
There not Really smaller, width of ports are the same just a little extra material in the corners. I can't see how you would ever see a difference at the track with or without pheno's. I use them and I don't believe in them. :shrug:
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

so then what really is causing me to loose all this power all around and not be able to rev to 7k anymore. Could the disty or bad wiring somewhere cause any of my probs?
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

could be ecu related
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Does the tach "jitter" at all at higher rpms? If it does thats a good indication of ignition trouble.

stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

well i would say it could possibly be the ECU BUT it has ran the same (well ****tier) with the corksport ecu. And no the tach doesnt jitter at all in upper rpm's or anywheres for that matter.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

timpronk

Post by timpronk »

1. Dirty Air Filter?

2. Throttle linkage binding causing the throttle body valve to not open all the way?

3. Timing is out?

4. Running to lean/rich
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

well it cant be the filter cause i ran it without it and it was the same, timing is at 13btdc, the linkage opens up all the way, ive tested it tons of times, oh and it does seem to run a little rich but its allways been like this.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

any other ideas??
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”