Mx-3 1.8 V6 - not worth any mods?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valdigre

Mx-3 1.8 V6 - not worth any mods?

Post by valdigre »

Hi guys,
I am new here on this wonderful Forum. I owe Mx-3 V6 for about year or so and I feel it is time to make some changes in the performance (It just doesn't feel the same as 12 months ago...) I heard all this stuff that if you want to think about any changes, you make yourself KL-ZE engine.
But I was wondering, if the small 1.8 V6 is not really a good engine to start playing with?
Do you know anyone, who decided to tune up this small V6 and could share any experience?
Thanks for your help and I am glad I could join this community :)
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
lakersfan1

Re: Mx-3 1.8 V6 - not worth any mods?

Post by lakersfan1 »

It's just cheaper to get more out of our cars to go straight to a larger engine. A KFZE is a 40 HP increase for only $500+$200 for a new computer. A KLZE is a 70 HP increase for $1000+$200 for a new computer. For that $700 for the KFZE invested into other crap in your engine, you might get 15 HP if you were lucky. And then, don't forget that these Jap spec enigines only have 30,000 - 50,000 miles on them, which is alot better than the 100,000 - 200,000 miles that most of us have on our 12 year old engines now.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The KLZE swap buys you something that only a turbo or supercharger can and thats torque. 50 ft.lbs of torque to be exact.

Even if you got another 15hp out of the K8 the torque probably isn't going to change much. Thats why a Honda B18 with 180hp+ has almost the same exact torque as every other 1.8 liter engine. Your pretty much limited to "X" amount of torque for a certain displacement size. That isn't law but pretty close to it.

As much as HP is what everyone talks about, torque is what really gets the job done.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

I guess you are right guys... Anyway I am sick of being eaten by hondas and other cars. Mx-3 has the looks, unfortunately it doesn't have the "edge" in standard. Ad I have measured more or less my red rocket goes from 0-60 in about 9 seconds... This is much less then standard sedans these days... I am just unhappy and these needs to be dealt with. Such a small car coming with V6 sign makes some people wondering, but when they here it comes with 2.5 V6 with 200 bhp...yeah :mad:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Originally posted by valdigre:
I guess you are right guys... Anyway I am sick of being eaten by hondas and other cars. Mx-3 has the looks, unfortunately it doesn't have the "edge" in standard. Ad I have measured more or less my red rocket goes from 0-60 in about 9 seconds... This is much less then standard sedans these days... I am just unhappy and these needs to be dealt with. Such a small car coming with V6 sign makes some people wondering, but when they here it comes with 2.5 V6 with 200 bhp...yeah :mad:
you've answered your own question, "sedans of these days", yes mx3 is over 10 yrs old and mine still keeps up with most cars here, of course if i get beaten by type R, no big deal, ive only got K8, and mx3 was just fraction of cost of Type R
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by valdigre:
Originally from the factory, they were 8 second 0-60 cars. If you're only running 9's, you might want to look at cleaning your engine (the inside) and replace tune-up items.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
It's just cheaper to get more out of our cars to go straight to a larger engine. A KFZE is a 40 HP increase for only $500+$200 for a new computer. A KLZE is a 70 HP increase for $1000+$200 for a new computer. For that $700 for the KFZE invested into other crap in your engine, you might get 15 HP if you were lucky. And then, don't forget that these Jap spec enigines only have 30,000 - 50,000 miles on them, which is alot better than the 100,000 - 200,000 miles that most of us have on our 12 year old engines now.
I proved this wrong almost 2 years ago, people kept telling me the same thing so what did i do i went out and built a k8 turbo for less then the cost to swap in the klze and it was way more then 15hp infact it was more then the klze. IF you have the knowhow and the skills its possible. And in about a month im going to do another first, the first ever stroked k8 and all it cost is time and a rebiuld kit. But unless you have every good skills and knowledge the best, safes and easies root is to swap in the klde or klze
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

I guess maybe this bad acceleration is the result of the clutch which isn't very young, plus maybe pretty big wheels etc...
I guess I will start collecting money for Kl-Ze. Engine + transmission + ECU is all I need I guess so it should be about 2000$, right? Oh and probably new clutch, brakes, suspension... I guess a little bit more :crying:
Anyway I was thinking to give additional 50 hp to the engine so I am not really sure if getting a new engine is really cheaper then some mods. My car is not going to be a dragster so I am not thinking about 300 bhp and up.
Thanks
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

Oh i have one more question, How fast does your car go on the 1st gear, cause mine goes about 60 km/h after a small mod.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Speed in gears is just what the gearing is of the car. Nothing to do with the amount power.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Originally posted by mrspanky79:
And in about a month im going to do another first, the first ever stroked k8 and all it cost is time and a rebiuld kit.
Actually, you'd be the second

<small>[ April 09, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: SE-Man ]</small>
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

well when i talk to you about it and going by what you told me back then your only bored. And if your stroked what crank did you use and how did you get the rods into the block?
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

It's just cheaper to get more out of our cars to go straight to a larger engine. A KFZE is a 40 HP increase for only $500+$200 for a new computer. A KLZE is a 70 HP increase for $1000+$200 for a new computer. For that $700 for the KFZE invested into other crap in your engine, you might get 15 HP if you were lucky.
Dood, get realistic. My KLZE (1040), ecu (250), a new act clutch (350), timing belt (55), accessory belts (18) thermostat & gasket (11), radiator hoses (30), sparkplugs (18), SS clutchline (30), redline fluids & coolant(60), valve cover gaskets (50), intake manifold gaskets (40), exhaust manifold gaskets (40), throttle body gasket (11), axles (170) and engine hoist rental for 2 days (54) all together cost 2227.

Sure you don't have to use premium/performance parts like i did, but you will at least spend an additional 300-400 in replacement parts if you replace the necessary parts.

The engine place I bought my motor from even voided the engines warranty if you didn't replace these parts:

timing belt, thermostat, valve cover gasket, thermo gasket, throttle body gasket, intake manifold gaskets, oil & filter.

So depending on which motor you buy, you are still looking at 1000-1500 if you use OEM replacement parts and don't replace too many parts. My car had a blown motor and was neglected so I figured i'd replace a lot more than I had to..the axles were torn and radiator hoses cracked anyways.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
It's just cheaper to get more out of our cars to go straight to a larger engine. A KFZE is a 40 HP increase for only $500+$200 for a new computer. A KLZE is a 70 HP increase for $1000+$200 for a new computer. For that $700 for the KFZE invested into other crap in your engine, you might get 15 HP if you were lucky.
Dood, get realistic. My KLZE (1040), ecu (250), a new act clutch (350), timing belt (55), accessory belts (18) thermostat & gasket (11), radiator hoses (30), sparkplugs (18), SS clutchline (30), redline fluids & coolant(60), valve cover gaskets (50), intake manifold gaskets (40), exhaust manifold gaskets (40), throttle body gasket (11), axles (170) and engine hoist rental for 2 days (54) all together cost 2227.

Sure you don't have to use premium/performance parts like i did, but you will at least spend an additional 300-400 in replacement parts if you replace the necessary parts.
I didn't factor those in because alot of that you can salvage from your other engine if it's in good shape, and if it's not in good shape, you were going to have to replace that anyways.
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Originally posted by SE-Man:
Originally posted by mrspanky79:
well when i talk to you about it and going by what you told me back then your only bored. And if your stroked what crank did you use and how did you get the rods into the block?
Ok I'm gonna tell you all I know about Import Engines

Thats it, now if it was a domestic V8 thats another stoy..... I didn't even know that they had push rods, I thought thats what the overhead cams are for. I do know this, The pistons are toyota and so are the piston arms. The bottom end is all custom (It had to be, I didn't give hime anything other than a bare block). He's not back yet, but I emailed him and he told me this 77X71mm/2176.9cc resleved(est without having paperwork in hand)
ahh... just ecuse my misunderstanding, you ment pistion rods and not push rods. sorry.

And If you do look back, I did mention it was stroked.

<small>[ April 10, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: SE-Man ]</small>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”