BAD SHIFT, MX-3 GS, PLZ HELP!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valoncan

BAD SHIFT, MX-3 GS, PLZ HELP!!

Post by valoncan »

I have replaced my clutch recently, and I am having a hard time changing gears. What I mean is, let say I am driving, and I am coming to a turn, and I am on third, so I want to downshift on second, it will never go on second, I mean it will not grind, but it will not go in second, same thing on third sometimes, and on first.
Another examle, let say I left my car on a first gear in a little bit of a hill facing upwards, and I press my clutch the car will not move backwards, but as soon as I grab the stick, and it will take some effort to put her from the first to neutral, the car will start rolling backwards.
Now, my guess was that there is air in the clutch, and I bleeded it, and I had no idea that the break fluid is the same as the clutch fluid, anywways, I bleeded it, and still the same thing.
Could it be the clutch cylinder??
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
monstar-mx-3

Re: BAD SHIFT, MX-3 GS, PLZ HELP!!

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

what type of clutch did you have?
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

sometimes you need to rev your engine to before shifting into gear to slide in easier. Have you tryed that?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

It is disengaging all the way right? My ACT didn't disengage at all when I first installed it. I had to shim the slave cylinder, get a SS clutchline and readjust the pedal inside the car.

My shift STILL suck *** but it isn't too bad. Downshifting does suck though, I have to rev match all the time. If i want to downshift to 1st, I have to stop the car, otherwise it won't go into gear.

I don't know what is up with our trannies, but I've heard a lot of ppl having this kind of problem with their GS's.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

I know I have to match the engine revolution with the tranny, and I know this real good, I mean back home we had some trucks that even brand new would not go into a gear without matching the RPM.
But the thing is that b4 I did the clutch the damn thing used to switch sooooooo smooth and sooooo good, like I tried it once, you could even switch from 2nd to 5th without a clutch and without grinding, and I did that soooo good, like a lotta my dumb friends were amazed as how I was driving the car, changing the gears without clutch.
Now, it is sooooo hard, like the stick moves easily but it wont go on a gear.
I guess it is the cylinder. I mean the clutch it's not travelling enough!!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by valoncan:
I know I have to match the engine revolution with the tranny, and I know this real good, I mean back home we had some trucks that even brand new would not go into a gear without matching the RPM.
But the thing is that b4 I did the clutch the damn thing used to switch sooooooo smooth and sooooo good, like I tried it once, you could even switch from 2nd to 5th without a clutch and without grinding, and I did that soooo good, like a lotta my dumb friends were amazed as how I was driving the car, changing the gears without clutch.
Now, it is sooooo hard, like the stick moves easily but it wont go on a gear.
I guess it is the cylinder. I mean the clutch it's not travelling enough!!
Have you found your problem?...My car is parked right cuz I just can't change gears...Let say my car is in 1 first and the clutch is to the floor..the car still roll WTF I wasn't doing it till today...I was stuck on the road with my hazard on because I couldn't shift :freak:
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Another examle, let say I left my car on a first gear in a little bit of a hill facing upwards, and I press my clutch the car will not move backwards, but as soon as I grab the stick, and it will take some effort to put her from the first to neutral, the car will start rolling backwards.
You are correct, the clutch is not disengaging. Have you adjusted it correctly?

Pedal to firewall- the horizontal distance from the middle of the top surface of the pedal to the carpet on the firewall - 196 to 204mm. To adjust, unplug the clutch switch connector, slacken locknut and rotate switch.

Free play - 5 to 14 mm. You should aim for 5 or 6. Slacken locknut on pushrod and adjust.

Then check the distance from middle of pedal top to the closest point on the carpet behind the pedal, with the pedal fully depressed. Should be no less than 55mm.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by IanL:
You are correct, the clutch is not disengaging. Have you adjusted it correctly?

Pedal to firewall- the horizontal distance from the middle of the top surface of the pedal to the carpet on the firewall - 196 to 204mm. To adjust, unplug the clutch switch connector, slacken locknut and rotate switch.

Free play - 5 to 14 mm. You should aim for 5 or 6. Slacken locknut on pushrod and adjust.

Then check the distance from middle of pedal top to the closest point on the carpet behind the pedal, with the pedal fully depressed. Should be no less than 55mm.
Ian this guy should have found his problem..this happenend 2 months ago...I brought back the thread from the dust while searching...Any idea on what my problem might be?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

update:
today tranny cold..easy to shift gears when the car isn't started..start the car and impossible to shift

yesterday tranny hot: can't change gears even with the car not running
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

Sorry guys I haven't check this in a while, and I am sorry for no reply.
Yeah I found my problem: it was the clutch cylinder, and now shift like it used to when I first bought the car.
They also adjusted my clutch pedal and I replaced my shifter, I think they put like a Honda civic short shift or something if I am not mistaken!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”