Need Help.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
UKMX-3

Need Help.

Post by UKMX-3 »

I'm going to a local garage to talk the dudes there about an engine swap!!!!!!

Problem is i don't know what the engine Designations are, what cars they are in, how much of a wiring change is required for what, whether the are NA or Turbo'd..... Can someone give me a list of what the best option is going to be for a swap from my 1.8 to my 2.5, i understand that the research is my problem and that there are loads of manual out there but i'd really appreciate it if one of the old hands could point me in the right direction!

Should i go for the KLZE, the KZE KLDE... blah blah blah, and what kind of car would i find these in! I'm hoping for the 190BHp engine!
tical

Re: Need Help.

Post by tical »

go with the klze = 197hp. if you are lookin to use alot of boost then id go with the bpt...

the 3 best places to find this engine is, (so ive heard) and corksport ive delt with, they are great-

corksport.com
osakajdmmotors.com
streetimports.com

hope this helps a little

Justin
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

It depends which engine you have in your car. If you have the V6 K8D you should go for a 2.5 litre V6. The choice is KLZE (about 195 hp) or KLD (about 165 hp). Both are normally aspirated. You are unlikely to find a KLZE engine locally - they are only fitted to cars in the Japanese Domestic Market. Bear in mind that you will also need to get the ECU for the KLZE if you want the fuel delivery to be correctly controlled. You need to decide whether the hassle and risk of importing a second-hand engine (with no practical come-back if its a dud) is worth the extra 30 hp.

If you get a KLD from a local scrapyard (out of a Zedos 9 or MX-6) you should be able to get a refund if its rubbish. (You could also buy a new engine from Mazda - about £2000 lol) If you choose to use a KLD, you will need the ECU and VAF from an MX-6.

You will see that LHD conversions use a Millenia (Zedos 9) curved manifold to avoid hitting the brake reservoir. Our brake reservoir is on the opposite side, of course, but I'm not certain that a straight manifold from an MX-6 would necessarily clear the battery. See this thread for some RHD conversion photos.

As regards wiring changes, as long as you get an ECU to match your car (OBD1 or OBD2), its not a problem. See this thread

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

<small>[ January 18, 2004, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

well the whole point of this operation is to have an Standard engine in my car that will allow me to keep up with or beat my mate in his CTR (197Bhp) i think his car is heavier and with the V-TEC stuff going on i think the power/torque range of a big powerfull V-6 should win out over his 2.0 unit, so i reckon its gonna have to be the KLZE....

I'm not keen to fork out over £3k for a 20Bhp gain. 60Bhp makes more sense.

I'm gonna get in touch with Osaka Parts and see what comes up, apparently its possible to get a KLZE with a curved intake manifold, does anyone know if this is true?
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2454465728

this link is for an auction on Ebay, this is what you want, its a ZE with the straight neck, notice how it is quite long, this is because it is a ZE, this will come with everything wou will need.

If you dont get this one, then print out the page and take it to a local importer and see if they could supply it.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”