MSD Igntion gains on N/A?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tyler17rose

MSD Igntion gains on N/A?

Post by Tyler17rose »

Would a MSD 6A ignition and Blaster 2 coil on a K8 show any gains? Does the install methold on Jeff's site correct the wacky tach problems some people have had (i searched). I ask because i could get this set up used from a friend.... just want to know if its worth installing on a N/A K8.

I plan on a swap in the future. Just not this year :confused: .
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: MSD Igntion gains on N/A?

Post by Mnemonic »

soposively youll see a little more horsepower and supposively 12lbs more of torque
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

soposively youll see a little more horsepower and supposively 12lbs more of torque
:confused2: 12lbs of torque? Are you joking? I was thinking more along the lines of 1 or 2 hp, 1 or 2 lbs of torque.... but if your serious :love:
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

well by saying 12lbs of torque you have to relise its usually done and tested on other cars and its around there, i dont know anyone who's dynoed there car just with one so im sure you would see something nice if you upgraded most of the ignition, if not it wouldnt be worth the cost
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Just my 2c:

If you have a very sick ignition, but it just starts the car, and you changed the wires, the plugs and fitted the MSD, you could expect a good improvement. If you have good wires and plugs, but your coil is low on insulation, you could expect some improvement.

If your coil is pretty good, too, expect little or nothing.

<small>[ December 30, 2003, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

hello, i have the msd 6a with the blaster ss coil, i couldnt really tell much difference, but then again. when i put it in the factory ignition ahd gone out on me. so it when from not running to running that was what i liked. i think if i changed to a better coil i might have a little better gains but its ok for now. i mean i like it but i cant tell much difference.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

IanL ... how do i tell if my ignition is crappy? I have breand new NGK plug wires and plugs, but have a feeling its the original distributer with 225 000kms on it. So i'm thinkin this MSD 6A with blaster 2 coil might help me out.

goldy1 ... Did you set your msd up using Jeff's walkthrough? Are you still running the factory tach? Does it work normally? Thanks
Mods:

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

my setup is like so

msd 6a with a Blaster II coil, running into the kfze external disty, and im using NGK Platinum plugs with Accel 8mm plug wires

Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

And how does it run? Smooth? Does the tach work correctly? I read somewhere it goes nuts after 4 grand :shrug:
Mods:

IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by T-Rose:
IanL ... how do i tell if my ignition is crappy? I have breand new NGK plug wires and plugs, but have a feeling its the original distributer with 225 000kms on it. So i'm thinkin this MSD 6A with blaster 2 coil might help me out.
The easiest way to check is to substitute a known good component. So if you can borrow a good distributor from a buddy.....

Otherwise, I believe tuning shops have testers.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
plusinfinit

Post by plusinfinit »

Hey first at all i have a 4cil soch engine but i also have the MSD 6AL, blaster2 coil, tach adapter and 8mm wires. Believe it or not i felt the improvement. Gas mileage got better and it revs up much easier but than again i am taliking about a soch mx-3 engine.
StPapp
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

When I installed the MSD 6A ignition with Blaster 2 coil my tach does go a little nuts at higher rpms. If I rev it up and once it goes into turbo and I let off, it goes from redline, to about 4grand and then back up really quick. But thats ok since I have the S-AFC telling me my rpms.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

hello, i did use jeffs walk through to set mine up, i also used the tach adapter. i am useing the stock tach still too. but i havent really noticed anything wierd about it in the high rpm's. i also did the 3055 mod while i was in there to so i'm just useing the stock disy cap. its not that har but just rememeber to hook up the transistor right i did mine backwards the 1st time and it wouldnt run. i switched the wires out and it runs fine now. well, it would if it had a timeing belt.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

You got a tach adaptor? Do you think i'd need one? Jeff's site didnt say anything about getting one. And i dont think hes the kind of guy that would live with a wacky tach.
Mods:

goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well, the tach adapter may be what keeps it from going crazy. i dont really know. but it couldnt hurt, its not expensive, and easy to hook up. so you could try it with out it and see how it works.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”