Grinding noise when shifting

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJ

Grinding noise when shifting

Post by DJ »

I just got a 1994 MX3 Precidia V6 5speed a couple weeks ago with only 100,000k on it. I've been having a problem with shifting into second. When I shift into second doing any kind of speed it makes a small grinding noise and I can also feel it in the stick. It doesn't do this when taking it easy. I took it to a repair shop and they test drove it and the guy said I should get the lines bled because air in the lines may be whats wrong, and if not I need a new clutch. I'm bringing it in for a second opinion elsewhere on monday who suggested it might just need adjusting and probably not as major as a whole new clutch.
I just wanted some other opinions of what you think the problem is. Just for some additional info: when the car was safitied there was some rear break work done, if that affects anything. Also I checked the brake/clutch fluid (to the top left of the battery correct?) and its about an inch under max.
Please respond with your opinions. The car was previously owned since new by an ederly couple so the car wasn't really beat on and it also sat not driven for 3 months.

Thanks
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Grinding noise when shifting

Post by IanL »

It could be the clutch, but as its only one gear, its more likely to be the 2nd gear synchromesh. Before doing an expensive stripdown job, its worth trying a change of oil - most people in the US recommend Fully Synthetic Redline MT90. This link is worth reading.

It isn't difficult to adjust the clutch yourself - PM me with your email if you want a scan of the instructions.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

sounds like the syncro....

the only adjustment of the clutch ive ever heard of is the pedal, everything else adjusts itself.
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

The 2nd gear synchro is usually the first one to go. It takes the most abuse. Get it replaced before it totally lets lose and takes out everything else with it. Take it from me. Mine blew up and locked up the tranny and locked my wheels and sent me flying.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
DJ

Post by DJ »

Any clue how much that costs (canadian funds please)?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by mx3TT:
The 2nd gear synchro is usually the first one to go. It takes the most abuse. Get it replaced before it totally lets lose and takes out everything else with it. Take it from me. Mine blew up and locked up the tranny and locked my wheels and sent me flying.
:eek: ****! Mines been doing that for about 3 months now, i grind a bit in 3rd and 5th under full throttle, 2nd is a little hard to get into, but doesnt grind at all

Wouldnt it just be better to replace the tranny?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
superslacker

Post by superslacker »

i definitely agree it's probably the synchros
MX3KL08

Post by MX3KL08 »

2nd gear grind is a common problem with Mazdas. B series, MX, RX7.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Mine was hard to get into 2nd when power shifting when I first got mine. Drained the tranny and put all Royal Purple gear oil in, and problem is pretty much nil now.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”