Wrecked my DSM, looking at the MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Daggah

Wrecked my DSM, looking at the MX-3

Post by Daggah »

For all you losers (kidding) who don't know what DSM stands for, it's "Diamond Star Motors."<p>DSM is responsible for the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser. The first generation of these cars used the best 4 banger engine ever made (IMHO), the 4g63, still being used today in the Lancer EVO.<p>Anyway, that's the background info...I wrecked my Plymouth Laser two weeks ago, and I'm hoping for about $2500-$3000 from the insurance crap. (Basically, I was rear-ended, but the situation is a little complicated. I'm pretty sure I'll get money though. They've already denied my claim, and I just filed a small-claims lawsuit yesterday.) Looking through Auto Trader, the MX-3 caught my eye...I always thought they looked nice, but I never really considered them until now. The price definitely caught my eye, but what I've read about them has all been overwhelmingly positive. Read Car Survey's page on the MX-3 for proof of that. :) <p>Oh, and if anyone's curious, no, my DSM wasn't a turbo. 2.0L RS.
torpedan

Re: Wrecked my DSM, looking at the MX-3

Post by torpedan »

Between your two choices i would go for the GS its stock componets for handling are better and sports a 15in rim as opposed to a 14 for the RS it always has 4 wheel disk brakes. If your staying with the stock motor its a bit easier to upgrade too. <p>Mx-3 are cars that the first and formost perfomace mod is usually a engine swap for those who are serious.. But yeah i would pick it just becuase there a bit more unommon on the scene..<p>
Then again if you want really cheap parts and speed its hard to beat hondas.. but for bone stock FI purposes the K seriers or B series motors are rather stout
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Daggah

Post by Daggah »

I haven't the resources to go modding cars, really. The MX-5, CRX, and Civic hatchback are all cars I would enjoy and like bone-stock.<p>A turbocharged DSM, however, is an extremely strong base for modding, particularly if "go" means more to you than "show." ;)

Post by Guest »

early 90s Civic (preferably hatch), Honda CRX = great lookin cars. many mods out there, cheap parts, but need a little more cash to make it fast!<p>Toyota Celica - dont know anythin about them except they look pretty nice, but potential wise its less<p>Nissan 240sx - GOOD LOOKIN, great potential (with the sr20), FR fun car all around<p>im not gonna say anthin about the mx, cuz i own one and just love it, the list can go on forever
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Mx-5s are fairly fun bone stock too great turbo platform. Really if your interested in mazda and our kinky ways. Get the GS it has a good performancee of the given options out of the box.<p>
A turbo dsm buildup is kinda hard to compair to many other things.. but if your not building it up why worry =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Daggah

Post by Daggah »

From what I've seen, it looks like the GS version is substantially more expensive than the RS version. If it came down to it, what would you guys choose: a later-model RS, or an early model GS?<p>Ack, edited to say that when I said "MX-5" obviously I meant the MX-3. The Miatas I've seen have all been out of my price range.<p>That does remind me...if I see a Honda del Sol in my price range, I'm afraid this entire discussion is going to be moot real fast... ;)<p>[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Daggah ]</p>
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

The reason the GS is always a bit more pricey is because it has a V6 and nearly 30 more in both peak torque and hp numbers. If you can, I would recommend a standard transmission, as fourth and fifth gear can be used at city speeds it makes it quite economical. If you need an example, 20mph in fifth gear is 1000rpm on stock rims and 30mph is only 1500rpm. Very fuel conservative if you have long open roads but low speed limits, or even lots of highway driving. The GS also came equipped, as was mentioned earlier, four wheel disc brakes and ABS. The GS seats are very sporty and are designed to hug the body through tight corners and not allow for any sliding on a turn, yet they do not inhibit any normal motion or rub against the occupants. GS suspension also benefits from a front crossmember and a rear tie-bar that the RS models lack.<p>One thing you should consider, and everyone with a GS will tell you, is that an engine swap is not pricey at all. Many import motor distributors can offer the KLZE engine, which is a 2.5L V6 motor with 200hp and around to 170ft/lbs of torque. The KLZE is from the same family of motor as the K8 that the GS is equiped with. It mounts exactly the same within the GS engine bay, shares the same wiring harness, and even the standard transmission from the GS can be transferrred to the KLZE. Most suppliers will quote a price close to $1,250 + shipping.<p>[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</p>
Daggah

Post by Daggah »

Are problems with the automatic transmission on this car the norm? I see lots of posts in the automatic transmission forum that worry me. That's one area where the DSM cars never really have trouble in.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

What's up? I own a DSM and an mx-3....mx-3 is much more reliable, but doesn't really have as much speed potential as a DSM does, especially for the price. DSM is bang for the buck, period, but if you're looking for a quick, reliable, fun car...i'd recommend the mx-3..i own a GS and love it...drop me an email if you want any questions/comparisons/etc.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Daggah

Post by Daggah »

Ah...well I had good luck with my Laser RS, but then again, the first owner was the daughter of some upper-middle class family that lived in a huge house in a high-class neighborhood. They took awesome care of the car and she babied it.<p>Yeah, I dogged the hell out of it. I admit that. I shouldn't have. But all in all it only broke down twice in the year I had it: the power steering pump went, and then the timing belt (which bent the valves...ouch.) But on the other hand I got a good mechanic and machine shop for the cylinder head job, and got my car back running so smoothly it was astonishing. :) The 4g63 is one of the strongest four-cylinders out there.<p>That reminds me. Do the MX-3s bend valves when the timing belt goes too?
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

To my understanding all Mazda engines, with pistons, are non-interferance. So no bent valves or danger if a belt breaks. Then again, the engine is really shoe-horned in so changing the belt becomes time consuming.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

When i saw "wrecked my DSM" i thought you had something cool like an Eclipse. Turns out you had a laser...hahaha those are gay! MX-3s are waaaay better. Especially the GS. Stock, they are quick enough, but if u can afford $2-2.k more you can swap a good klze set up in for 200+hp in a bad a$$ looking car.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Post by Guest »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jdm_mxpower:

Toyota Celica - dont know anythin about them except they look pretty nice, but potential wise its less
<hr></blockquote><p>I was looking at buying a celica and read up on the swaps available, they have the same if not more potential then the mx, more swaps are available and more hp.
Daggah

Post by Daggah »

Calling stuff you don't like gay is rather childish. The Laser and the Eclipse are the exact same cars, so how can one be cool and one not be?<p>And of course, next time you pull up to a turbo AWD Laser, rev on him, and then come back and tell me if you think the Laser is still gay. :p
I'm sure you'll come back agreeing with me that the rear end doesn't look as good as your car's! But that's all you'll be able to judge, because you can be damn sure that's all you'll see.

Post by Guest »

haha ya i know a guy with a awd turbo, upgraded turbo, its got nice pickup but the guy goes through transmissions like condoms, and it runs rich so its like being in a nazi gas chamber. Im not saying they are all like that but his needs some massive engine work. Check out his car, His car , Im sure you'll like it.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”