Can i mix Dexron with ATF power steering fluid?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

Can i mix Dexron with ATF power steering fluid?

Post by quicksliver »

Is it ok to mix Dexron power steering fluid with that ATF power steering fluid stuff? I don't know what kind of fluid is currently in there and it's almost at 'Low'. In the manual is states it can use either or....but is it ok to mix em'?
lakersfan1

Re: Can i mix Dexron with ATF power steering fluid?

Post by lakersfan1 »

You are supposed to use Dexron, which is what most ATF fluids will be. If it says Dexron on it, you can use it.
potatochobit

Post by potatochobit »

its bad to mix them. it has to do with viscosity. just like honda transmisions use motor oil, dunno why. if you mix it it will still work,but could wear out the pump motor in a week or more. all Jp cars will use dexron though, atf was made for ford but some Eu cars use it.
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

You will not damage anything by mixing Dexron with ATF. They're almost idetical in every way.
By the way, Honda don't use motor oil in there tranys anymore, they haven't in quite a few years.

P.S. sometimes I use ATF with a full tank of gas (about one quart to a full tank). It helps lube the whole system. (your exhaust will smoke slightly 'til the next time you fill your tank but it's worth it).
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

excuse me, I ment to say power steering fluid and ATF are close to the same (depending on the type of PS fluid).
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

You CAN use dextron fluid in your PS system. It is fine.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

why must I set people straight, sigh.

ATF is Automatic Transmission Fluid, honda has its own formula as does BMW and several other car manufactures.

for Auto tranies check your owners manuel for the type recomended for your car.

ATF Type -F was used in very old Auto tranies (like 1960 to 1980) then ford intoduced Dexron/Mercon ATF, Then in the 1980's came Dexron/Mercon II, then came Dexron/Mercon III which is the current standard for ATF.

Type-F has not been used by the car companies in like 30 years, Dexron/Mercon III is compatable with the older versions of it. EG. owners manule says "use only Dexron/Mercon or equivilant" you can use Dexron III, if it says use ATF you can use Dexron III, If it says use only Type-F ATF than your working on a VERY old car and should only use Type-F ATF.

The 2004 BMW M3 Power steering cap says use only ATF, and we stock Dexron III, The Auto Tranies in the 2001 740 use a synthetic fluid made by shell.

P/S fluid is power steering fluid, GM has used a golden/clear fluid for years in its rack and pinion systems, VW Audi BMW used a special fluid on older cars (before 1996 I think) Honda has had its own P/S fluid for about 5-6 years now and you should only use that fluid when its called for.

Mazda has used ATF Dexron in all its power steering systems for about the last 20 years (I think there are 1 or 2 exceptions) but I know for a fact that the MX-6, MX-3 use ATF Dexron.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Quicksilver puts atf in his gas?! WTF wow thats just dumb.....
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”