More Idle Issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Blindmelon

More Idle Issues

Post by Blindmelon »

A short time ago I posted about my car idling too high even when the engine was at normal operating temprature. Some suggested I check my vacuum lines and I did and the problem went away for about a day and now it's doing it again. Some people have suggested it may be my EGR valve. What is an EGR valve, and if you guys have any other thoughts as to what it might be, that would be greatly appreciated.
Second place is the first loser.
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: More Idle Issues

Post by IanL »

Online manual Pages F2-125 & 126. The EGR should shut off at idle. If, for some reason, it does not, that would upset the idle revs.

If you do steps 6 to 8 at the top of page 126, and it makes no difference (i.e. the erratic idling is just the same), that means the EGR is operating when it should not. If so, that would be a problem with an element in the control system. The most likely cause would be the throttle position switch setup.

Since your problem is that the idle is too high, it doesn't sound like the EGR system operation is the cause.

Try checking out the Idle Air Control System, pages F2-98 & 99.

<small>[ November 01, 2003, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Blindmelon

Re: More Idle Issues

Post by Blindmelon »

Thanks for your help. Being that I'm a new member, I didn't even know about that online manual so that's great. My power wire for my amp ran right beside the wires going to my EGR and I think it may have been causing some interference cause I moved it and everytime I looked at my tach yeaterday, it was right where it should be. Hopefully it stays like this.
Second place is the first loser.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”