Is my engine dead?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jutzi420

Is my engine dead?

Post by Jutzi420 »

Ok, I was making my weekly trip to school on the 401 highway this past sunday and 45 minutes in at about 130km/h my engine "popped", grey smoke everywhere, clouds of oil out the back, engine lurched and stalled. I just had a chance to lift the car up today and found a hole the size of my thumb in the oil pan.

I just want a few opinions on what damage would probably have been caused to the engine internals, and how much work it might be to fix. I was planning a ZE swap in about a year but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to just go for it now, any suggestions?
guyaverage

Re: Is my engine dead?

Post by guyaverage »

If the whole is punctured outward, you probably broke a rod, which makes it ZE time.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
andy

Post by andy »

going on what you said, It would cost more to fix it than to put a KLZE in. It sounds like you seized the motor up, wether the hole came from road debri or internal parts busting lose. the damage from oil starvation can be severe. You need to do a little more investigative work to find out just how severe.
Does the car still crank over? turn the crank by hand.

Andy P. 93 GS
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Yeah I figured no matter what caused it, no oil at a high speed means new engine. The hole is punched outward, although I didn't hear the clanging that usually accompanies a rod break. How exactly do I turn over the crank by hand?
andy

Post by andy »

socket on the alternator nut, you might need to push down on the belt at the same time.
I would pull the spark plugs. that might also shed some light on which if any of the cylinders were damaged.
Andy P. 93 GS
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

to turn the crank by hand, you use a socket on the crank pully nut. not sure about the v6's, but the 4cyl can use the tire iron.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Well, upon futher investigation I've found a few spare parts in the oil pan, seems it's time for a ZE. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it. :D
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

dont it suck when that happens :p
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”