clutch for KLZE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

clutch for KLZE swap

Post by mx3man83 »

IF you would be so kind to list what clutches you all are using and prices, and some basic feedback I would much appreciate it. Mostly concerned with fitment and daily drivability. KLZE with stock 1.8 transmission is what will be used, with a 65 shot of n2o. Thanks all.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Spydie

Re: clutch for KLZE swap

Post by Spydie »

I'm going with Bully

www.bullyclutch.com

Bully makes stage 1-5 for MX3
Stage 1 retails for $450 CDN
Stage 2 retails for $612 CDN
the rest are mainly race applications

now...they are expensive but are very rugged. indestructable. The numbers don't lie. some say that Bully clutches chatter...I contacted them about that and it is rumour. Whatever chatter problem that might have existed has since been rectified. And most chatter is a result of not properly cleaning the surface of the flywheel 1st etc. A WRX clutch chatters out of the box too. Bully solved that problem for Subaru Canada incidently. I can provide you with my corespondence with Bully if you like. but their site has all the specs and stuff.

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Darren Hyderman ]</small>
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

my 6 copper puck chattered at first. It eventually breaks in, its totally 100% percent driveable, and the power transfer is awesome. I dont see why a full disced clutch would chatter...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

that's just it....it probably doesn't..it's a rumour (Bully that is) if the flywheel surface isn't properly cleaned or the pressure plate is weak, defective or installed poorly, it will chatter. A few bozo's probably were too anxious to install their new clutch so they skipped a step or two....then blamed the clutch for chattering.
any clutch can chatter no matter who makes it. even ACT.
BTW my next clutch will be ACT. I need to be more thrifty.

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Darren Hyderman ]</small>
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

I am using the ACT MX-6 clutch kit off of corksport. I think that price is $331 for everything you need. I love mine!! It has worked great so far.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

www.rr-racing.com ClutchMasters stage2R great clutch has been withstanding 75hp shots on my buddys ZE for 9 months and it engages sooooo much smoother than my ACT does....
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:
I'm going with Bully
Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:

BTW my next clutch will be ACT. I need to be more thrifty.
You change you mind in less than 45min?

I have a Bully Stage 2 Mx-6 clutch and i love it, it grabs quick but it does chatter, but only if i ride the clutch at low rpm's, I figure the chattting is the clutch trying to grab, i cant see how a non-fully-engaged-high-grab clutch would respond any other way..., but i rarely do it anymore, so i dont notice it, but when it does do it, when whole car shakes, so its one hell of a chatter...and i did get my flywheel resurfaced

I think the most part is that when i bought ym Mx-3 a year before i did my ZE swap, it my my first time driving a standard, and after a year i was still far from perfect and still had alot of bad habits, including riddint the clutch when shifting...and than i jumped into a sport clutch with a more powerful engine...quite the learning curve

I was worried that a sport clutch would be a problem with everyday driving, but with the ZE, its a breeze, instead of riding the clutch with teh old 1.8l, say on inclines, i just put her in gear and let off th cluch, the ZE is hard to stall, and can pull the car on a slight incline coasting

One thing i appreciatd about the sport clutch is the little give forced me to improve my gas/clutch timming, and it has, alot!

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

"I'm going with...."
"My next clutch will be..."

key word is "next"

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Darren Hyderman ]</small>
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

www.rr-racing.com

Are their prices in USD? My goal is to find a clutch for around 300 USD. Should i have my flywheel lightened or will that affect the grabbing ability of the clutch? What are you guys running? Thanks again guys.

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

I just bought a 2nd flywheel for that very reason. babybluemx3 had his shaved last month and it revs like crazy. No grip issues that I could tell.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Any reviews on centerforce? The one on corksport.com is fairly cheap.
My Cardomain site
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

it's your money but read the specs. I like Bully's specs. Stage 1 38% over stock.
Stage 2 77% over stock. But so damned expensive.
Centerforce is not as good if I recall my reading but is less expensive.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

got my act mx-6 clutch kit (z62-hdss) from e-bay for 300 shipped.best deal i could fine..grabs real hard and don't have a problem with it
ebay act
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mightym0use5

Post by mightym0use5 »

clutchmasters stage 2R - from rr-racing. It engages so nice and smooth, and it easy to drive. I got the combo with the flywheel -so i don't know how much it would be individually. together it was $610 w/shipping i believe. definatly worth it.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

ACT Stage 1 kit, holds up to 285 ft/lbs. of torque. I paid $350 shipped for it. It grabs damn nice and engages somewhat harsh. The pedal is firm as **** too, you'll grow new leg muscles
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”