Idle issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2.5mx3

Idle issues

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hey guys-

Okay, so I bought another ZE throttle body to try out on my engine, but I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my current one. I had some major problems with my idle a couple months ago, but a TPS reset cleared a lot of it up.

However, my idle is still high - beween 1000 and 1200rpms. This is the strange part though: I have the idle air screw all the way in. I mean, I can't lower the idle ANY more. It took me by surprise because I thought the engine would just stall if the screw was turned all the way in.

Anyway, I have yet to take out the IAC valve and clean it, but I suspect that will help some. And of course I still have this extra TB to play with.

Anyone have an idea why my idle is still way too high even with the idle air screw like this?

Thanks. :)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Idle issues

Post by Mnemonic »

what ecu are you using?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Currently, the 1.8 ECU.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

and your vaf?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

I've got a VAF from a Ford Probe GT. This seems to be the best combination, other than the ZE ECU and MAF.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

i havent tried that combination. Have you tried the 2.5 (aspec) ecu and 2.5 vaf?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

well I would check your throttle linkage, make sure its not to tight (which would cause the valve in the throttle body to be open a litte.)

If thats ok then there is a little screw with a nut on it that stops the throttle in the idle position (loosen the nut and turn the screw in a couple of turns so the actual thottle linkage will relax a bit.) This is located on the throttle body (this is not the same as the idle adjustment screw you already adjusted)

And the 2.5 ecu with 2.5 vaf never ran good for me.

The 2.5 ecu with 1.8 vaf (low end no top end)
the 1.8 ecu with 2.5 vaf (best other than ze setup)
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
curve

Post by curve »

Im having the same troubles but mines idles from 1800 to 2100 rpms
93 KLZED Mx-3 with MSD ignition, LSD tranny, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, Nology plug wires, header with open 2.5" exhaust and ractive muffler, and of course 125 shot Zex system with bottle heater electric bottle opener and purge valve, all autometer carbon fiber gauges, (Dash is completely custom in the gauge cluseter area), alpine deck with 6 disc changer, orion 32 band digital eq, 5 Linear power amplifiers, 2 alpine digital crossovers, 1 JL w5 12" woofer fiberglassed into the spare tire hole, q-form kick panels with 5 1/4 and tweeters, fiberglassed door panels and rear panels, alpine security system, also ground control coilovers, 17" Konig wheels with nitto tires, ractive rear strut tower brace, cross drilled and slotted roters on all 4 corners, GTR rear spoiler, 2 Sets of neons, and clear bumper and corner lights. I cant take credit for building this car it belonged to another mx-3er who built the whole thing and if you would like to see it being built go to Woodyscustomcreations.com

1/4 mile times 13.46 at 103
tonguefreek

Post by tonguefreek »

i have the exact same prob but my car is all stock except for a cai ive tried everything with no luck so far the car ran great befor i put on the cai and now it idles about 1000 to 1200 i had the mazda dealer look at it and they said its cause the new intake lets in to much air.i have no vac leaks tps and idle are set by the book to.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Originally posted by 2.5mx3:
[QB]
Anyone have an idea why my idle is still way too high even with the idle air screw like this?QB]
Hank, have you tried bringing out the small screw that holds the throttle plate open a turn or so? This should be able to bring it down then use the IAC screw on top for fine adjustment. If this does nothing double check your TPS setting again.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Post by Guest »

guys I got the same prob...I put in my ze and ze ecu...2 weeks ago all good for like a day now i my idel is from 1500-2000 and i am runnin veryyy rich sounds like a muscle car what can this be?

Post by Guest »

oh yeah and i just failed my emmisions...........by far..........they said the car is just pumping too much gas.....I played with that little idle screw and with the timing.....i may have screwed something up there but anyways.........how can i solve this ..my car is on temporary plates since i cant re-register it without emissions
Zoso124
Forum Moderator

Post by Zoso124 »

Play with the TPS.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Post by Guest »

ok...hmmm whats tps and how do I play with it?
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

hey magicfcb good to see you have money for your car, why dont you send my money back or ship the gauges i bought off you five months ago, also there is another member machambers looking for a k8 ecu he bought off you. i will be expecting a email from you. unclesluggo@shaw.ca
1993 White gs klze.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”