2nd gear feels like a pus**!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BucktownMx3

2nd gear feels like a pus**!

Post by BucktownMx3 »

does ne one know what could be makin my 2nd gear pull like a pu***? cause it runs strong in all the other 4 gears except 2nd. it pulls harder in 1st, 3rd, 4th more than in second. WHen i shift to 2nd at a kinda high rpms, it feels like turbo lag. cause it kinda bogs out and then climbs back up the power band. ne one know what the problem could be? please i need help the quickness of my mx is at stake.
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: 2nd gear feels like a pus**!

Post by IanL »

Here's one worth checking: The "accordion" rubber hose between the VAF and the throttle body may have a small leak, which is opened up by the engine rocking on its mounts over the change from first to second.<p>Why not at the other change points? Maybe its just the torque delta is more pronounced, due to the way you drive.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

mine does it a little bit if i'm racin...
i thought it was maybe the clutch slipping but i don't wanna buy a new clutch and stuff now till i upgrade my engine..<p>could it be the clutch anyone?
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Sure its possible, but I would think if its the clutch it would slip at the same rpm in any gear, especially 1st gear which pulls the hardest. Just my 2 cnts.<p>Any other symptoms to tell... squeeling noise, funny smell?? <p>If you rev it up a bit and dump the clutch and it doesnt squeel the tires a litte then I would think its the clutch for sure.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
BucktownMx3

Post by BucktownMx3 »

no noiseno smell. ill take a picture of my engine bay as soon as i get a camera and show u guys what i have n there and maybe that could give u a better picture to judge. thanks for all the information ill test it a lil more and tell u if it starts to work again or if it still just wimps out in 2nd.
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Mine does something similar. I just thought it was the VRIS wasn't crossing over right for some reason.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”