High idle after start when engine is already hot.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SilverBullet

High idle after start when engine is already hot.

Post by SilverBullet »

Hey, when I've been driving my car for awhile, and then turn it off for a few minutes (going into a store or something..) and then start it again, when I push the accelerator and release it, it tends to stick and the revs stay around 2500 or 2000... when I pull the accelerator up, the revs drop down to normal.. so obviously, it's a problem of either the throttle body not springing closed properly when hot, or there is too much friction on the throttle cable somewhere along the line, or the accelerator pedal is not releasing properly... I have lubricated EVERYTHING from the pedal to the outer throttle body, and I have sprayed throttle body cleaner into the throttle body while running the car at about 3000 rpms to clean and lubricate the inside of the TB. Has anyone had this problem before? And what makes the car rev a bit higher on cold starts? Is it an automatic choke type thing or what? <p>This problem only occurs at certain times when the car is hot... not every single time it is started when it is hot... only sometimes.. it's weird.. Thanks for any help!
Ryan<BR>Silver 96 MX-3 GS
Bri94GS

Re: High idle after start when engine is already hot.

Post by Bri94GS »

spray some WD40 on the throttle spring area and move it around a few times. If it still sticks, there's probably something stuck in that area.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SilverBullet:
And what makes the car rev a bit higher on cold starts? Is it an automatic choke type thing or what?<hr></blockquote><p>The ECU controlls the idle revs according to the coolant temperature.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
pbr

Post by pbr »

I have experienced the same problem, I have had good results spraying prolong lubricant in the throttle body ports on either side and on the axle. I do think it is temp related. I would think the plated can be adjusted to close better but havent found any info on how to do it. Normaly the two screws can be lossend on the axle when you look into the throttle body, and allow plate to seak a closed position when moving the throttle, but I didnt want to try unless I had a procedure.
lwes

Post by lwes »

I am also having the same problem as silverbullet. except my car is idling when already hot between 2000 to 3000 rpm and sometimes it will also rev up and down like yo-yo'ing. It is so bad that my anti-freeze will boil over. It happens ever time i drive. Can anyone please help me!!<p>Thank you
WeS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”