how do i get the power window motor out?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chance

how do i get the power window motor out?

Post by chance »

I know this is the wrong place for this question, but I know there are a lot of guys on this forum that know a lot and I hoping one of you can help me.

The door is off the car. The window is all the way up. I have the door panel and screen off. I can't figure out how to get the motor out. Can it be done with the window up? I tried hooking a battery to the to terminals in the connector for the motor. The motor did something, but no matter how I hooked it up it seemed like it was going up. The motor would do something, but not go down.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
killerpickle

Re: how do i get the power window motor out?

Post by killerpickle »

i have to change my drivers window assembly too, it looks so hard, with no room to do anything...if this is documented somewhere Im dying to know....
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
pelado

Post by pelado »

Motor and regulator come out together, window must be about 2/3 way down to do this to line up screws that attach window with a passage in the door to get a screwdriver in. Look in the online shop manual.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pelado:
Motor and regulator come out together, window must be about 2/3 way down to do this to line up screws that attach window with a passage in the door to get a screwdriver in. Look in the online shop manual.<hr></blockquote><p>That's correct. If your current regulator and motor aren't working then just cut the cable that runs in the channel of the regulator and the window will drop. Just be sure to support the window when doing so.
pelado

Post by pelado »

You do NOT cut any cable!!!!! Cutting the cable is for those that don't know how to remove the window properly.<p>You lower the window down until you see the bottom of the window glass and the two bolts (with phillips screw head also) that attach the window. You take out the bolts and remove the window. <p>This (and many other things) can be learned by using the online shop manual. It's where I head first. If the manual doesn't answer my question, then I post a question here.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

it seems that section "t-k1-bet power windows system" in the online shop manual is missing. Too bad...I was all excited!
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yup, just lower the window until you see the two 10mm bolts, undo them, and lift the glass out.<p>then you'll notice that there are bolt heads sticking out of your door frame...just undo them and the regulator should fall to the bottom of the panel. Then manuever it so you can get the regulator out. <p>Should take no more than 20 minutes tops to replace!!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pelado:
You do NOT cut any cable!!!!! Cutting the cable is for those that don't know how to remove the window properly.
<hr></blockquote>
Well, if his window motor is not working and will not let the window go down, he has no choice but to cut the cable. Hopefully he has a new regulator to go with the new motor, since as far as I know you can't just replace the cable.<p>When I replace my window regulator and motor, the window already had the cable cut (by the previous owner or the car lot where I bought it) and the cable was looped over the door and secured behind a bolt so the window would stay up.
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

hehe, wait a min, im the person buying his motor, it would better work. :D <p>i have changed 5 power window motors, doesnt matter if you lower the window or not, just open the screws holding the window assembly to the door. then the whole assembly would fall down and should be able to see the 2 philips screws holding the window on the assembly. open the two screws and the window should be off the assembly. And now the whole thing would come out easily. but definitely check if the motor is working, cuz i already paid $85 !! for a non working motor and i am super pissed. :p
chance

Post by chance »

I knew how to get the window motor out. The problem was that the door wasn't attached to a car and the window was all the way up. I had a good idea to biggin with, its just that the battry I was using was too weak. I got a different battery and hooked it to the conecter for the motor with a couple pieces of wire and the window went down. Motor cam out fine once I got the window down.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”