eating distributors and spark plug wires

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pbr

eating distributors and spark plug wires

Post by pbr »

Bought gs a couple months ago, took to dealer for look over, with erratic idle. They suggested new plugs and wires. Ran for about a week and started missing again and still had erratic idle as well. Took it to dealer and they said distributor wires were loose, that didnt work, so they said it needed a new Mazda distributor, and my new after market one was no good. Ran good for a week and started missing again, took it to dealer and they say the brand new distributor is bad and it ruined the wires, so they are replacing both, am I getting hosed? Did they do something misdiagnose this, thanks
sapper

Re: eating distributors and spark plug wires

Post by sapper »

Your getting ripped by he dealership. I'd tell them that if you've gone throught 2 sets of wires and 3 disty's in a mater of weeks, thats obviously not the probolem and you want your money back. They probably wont give it back to you, but hey, if you complain enough, they just might do something about it.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you can always call your better business bureu the shop wont listen to you but they will listen to them when they get slapped with a big fine
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Yeah a Mazda dealer shouldn't be using your funds for trial and error testing, they're the ones with all the diagnostic equipment etc.
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

if the idle jumps from 4-500 to about 1600 rpms then back down again, they may need to adjust the throttle position sensor. Mine started to jump around at about 240,000 km, after adjustment it was fine. <p>But if the car just dies while your driving it and you have to wait about a minute before it will start again, that means your ignitor is on its way out (common problem with the style of distributor that the gs has).
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”