EGR Problem Help (pulled engine codes)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bikeguy18974

EGR Problem Help (pulled engine codes)

Post by bikeguy18974 »

Hi
The CEL has been coming on occasionally usually after just warming up or after a few minutes of highway driving. Most times it goes right out but sometimes stays on for 5-1o minutes. I pulled the engine codes and got a 16 and 29.<p>Both these codes relate to the EGR/EGR vent solenoid. According to a link in the FAQ it seems a prime cause of both can be a bad connection or short. <p>Just wondering if these are typical problems and if so if there is a solution that people know about (bad connectors, wires getting hot, etc.) something that would make fixing/diagnosing easier. It seems with this car if one person has a problem a few more do too.<p>Its a 93 GS 1.8l auto with 128800 mi. and I've had for about a month so I'm still not that familiar with it.<p>Thanks
synap
Supporting Member

Re: EGR Problem Help (pulled engine codes)

Post by synap »

Do you notice if the temp gauge goes up and then returns to normal? Mine did a simmilar thing were the light would come on and then go off. It was pulling egr code also.<p>I found out that the thermostat was shot. Also had the water pump replaced.
bikeguy18974

Post by bikeguy18974 »

So far the temp gauge is acting normal. It gets to just about the halfway mark and stays there. Even in lots of stop and go traffic. So far I've only noticed the light on the highway.
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

I had that too for 6 month or so than it got worse car started to idle rough almost stall.
I would get it on low rpm and it goes away on higher. EGR valve was probably sticking but after a while the problem was gone. It cleaned up somehow itself, do not have a solution really. So it my go away if symptoms are similar.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”