03 TB questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chance

03 TB questions

Post by chance »

Just got my 03 TB off a probe today and its not quite what I expected. I was under the impression all you had to do to get a TB from a pgt to fit on a 08 is swap the tps and the iac. The throttle cable hookup is a lot different but may still work and the tps looks the same, but the iac isn't even close. The bolt holes are in different locations so I can't just swap it. And there is a third tube coming out that is new to me. Just another coolant hose? I assume I can just cap it and bypass the other two line because they're in different locations and I don't feel like putting longer hoses on. Anyone ran into this one before?<p>Also does anyone know anything about a mustang throttle plate being 65 mm? Guy I got my TB from said he thought I could just bore it 5 mm over and put in a mustang TP without having to fabricate one.
And what is the best way to bore a TB without a mill? A small cylinder hone or a caliper hone?
andy

Re: 03 TB questions

Post by andy »

very few of us have attempted what you are doing.
I had an kl-de TB bolted on and working ok but I could not get it to bring the idle up when the AC kicked on, so I bored out my K8 TB and everyting is great now.
Plug the extra hose on the IAC plate. You can bypass the coolant hoses but don't expect to get the idle to be normal. the Throttle cable will fit just fine with a little tweaking on the bracket bolted to the intake manifold. The IAC valve will need to be turned 90deg, not an easy task. the cable to the IAC will stretch to fit the new location without any lengthening.
You might have to skip using the aluminum spacer ohterwise the IAC will interfere with a coolant juncture. you can use either TPS.
you will also need to take the 2 top studs out in order to put the TB on.
This mod can be a PITA to do. I never said it was easy just that it can be done.
Email me if you have any specific questions
Andy P. 93 GS
chance

Post by chance »

Thanks for the help andy. I bypassed the coolant lines on my other mx-3 and didn't have any trouble with the idle once I finally got it right, as long as it wasn't cold outside. I was going to just bore my k8 TB with a cylinder hone to 60 mm and use the 03 throutle plate,but i had trouble with the screws in one of the troutle plates. The tb is only going to on for a few weeks then I'm selling the car in completly stock form so i don't really care if the idle is a little screwy. I plan to swap them tomorrow at school so I'll let you guyes know how it went.
chance

Post by chance »

The 03 TB doesn't have a place to hook up the kick down cable for my automatic tranny so I disconnected it on my current set up to see if I could do without it. You can't. Car won't shift when you get on it. It just gets up to about 6K and kind of bounces until you let off the pedal for a second. This just won't do. So I decided to bore out my K8 TB and just use the 60 mm throttle plate. The problem is the screws aren't coming out of the TP. I got one out by drilling it then using an easy-out. I broke the easy-out off in the other screw and have now broken three drill bits and bent one. I don't have anything hard enough to drill hardened tool steel. <p>Anyone have any helpful hints on how the get the TP screws out of my K8 TB without so much trouble. Oh yeah, there was no way in hell they were coming out with a screw driver. I tried twisting while tapping the handle with a hammer and everything else I could thing of. Should I try heating it?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”