Odd situation.. running too rich..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
thebonestockkid

Odd situation.. running too rich..

Post by thebonestockkid »

As the subject says, my mechanic just finished my 2.5 kl03 swap. we used the 03 engine, VAF and ecu, all from the same mx6 ... yet somehow its still running rich! my mechanic seems to think its the VAF thats causing it to use so much, but if its the 2.5 vaf, why would it run rich?? this is really frustrating, cause i got my hopes up to have it back by tommorow afternoon but by the looks of things i doubt that will happen. the only other things i can think of is either my 02 sensor (car ran fine before tho) or its the 2.5 ecu... which was being used with a ZE engine before we got it hooked up to my car.. maybe it set itself to a higher amount a fuel and needs time to run and adjust itself?? this happened to a guy i know with his mx6 (when he went from 2.5 mx6 ecu to kl31 cause he got a ze), it ran a little rough and rich at first and then after he drove it for a while it ran fine.... ANY help would be much appreciated, its been almost 3 weeks since ive driven my OWN car and i'd like to get it back ASAP! thanks in advance!<p>[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: thebonestockkid ]</p>
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Bri94GS

Re: Odd situation.. running too rich..

Post by Bri94GS »

Yea i'd try the 02 sensor...does the check engine light come on at all?
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

U check the codes?
pelado

Post by pelado »

What numbers/letters are on the VAF?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Frank,<p>Have you tried using the 1.8 ECU with the 2.5 VAF? This seems to be the best combination. I have the ZE, but I found that with the 2.5 ECU and VAF, my the engine ran extremely rich. Jeff Abrams has the same engine you do, and he also seems to think this is the best combo.<p>Hope this helps!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Cage

Post by Cage »

I have a Ford probe 2.5 VAF and a Mx-3 1.8 VAF they are the same part number JE50.
<p>Cage
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cage:
I have a Ford probe 2.5 VAF and a Mx-3 1.8 VAF they are the same part number JE50.
<p>Cage
<hr></blockquote><p>I don't know how that could be. I have both VAFs and they have different part numbers (which I can't remember offhand - I'll check when I get home today). Anyway, I don't think there's any doubt that the 2.5L uses a different VAF than the 1.8L. *Although*... some have said that the 1.8 VAF has the same part number as the ZE VAF. I do know that I tried it on my ZE, and the engine didn't run quite as well.<p>[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: 2.5mx3 ]</p>
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
thebonestockkid

pelado, im not sure what numbers are on the vaf, BUT i do know the guy that traded me for the JE50 vaf from my car, because he put a ze in his mx6, and i remember the numbers/letters were different from the stock je50<p>as for trying the 1.8 ecu, well... you would figure it would run best because with the 2.5 because thats what it was made to run with! I took it to A-spec on wednesday and im waiting for them to give me a call.. i have a feeling the timing might be out. i just hope it wont cost much more to fix :S. thanks for the help everyone, i'll keep you updated, hopefully it'll be good news when i do!
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

R.I.P.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

i run the 2.5 ecu (mx6)
and the 2.5 vaf (626)<p>my car does not run rich, idles perfectly, and i get 27 mpg 90% highway consistantly. I do however have 2 brand spanking new o2 sensors...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
thebonestockkid

hey killerpickle, how much did you pay for your two new o2 sensors? cause if that is the problem i wanna know if im gonna be ripped off or not lol. thanks, lates

R.I.P.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

ok i bought mine from automotive warehouse in niagara on the lake. Hmm, the price. I think it was 105 canadian each. They are the ngk ntk ones. I think you can find them for 40-50 american but once you factor in taxes, duty etc...its not cheaper.<p>www.automotive-warehouse.com
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

I would say it is not a vaf-ecu issue.
13.023 @ 105 mph

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”