MX-3 GS Engine cuts out at Hwyway Speeds

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Fergus

MX-3 GS Engine cuts out at Hwyway Speeds

Post by Fergus »

Has anyone had the engine die while drive at highway speeds, and when you come to a complete stop it starts right up. Seems to happen in warmer weather. It is a manual tranny and will not restart if I pop the clutch when coasting to the full stop.<p>Thanks - any help would be grateful<p>92 6 clynd. MX-3 GS 165,000 miles
Sonicxtacy02

Re: MX-3 GS Engine cuts out at Hwyway Speeds

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

its your distributor. you need to have it replaced.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
klp834

Post by klp834 »

Agreed - I had exactly the same problem. Better replace it before it leaves you stranded someplace. Trust me it will die one time and NOT start again.<p>Kelly
Matrix733

Post by Matrix733 »

This is funny as i came here to ask the same question, as mine left me stranded yesterday and it cost me $125 to tow it home, lol.<p>I know my rings are fried because there is oil in my spark plug wells, clean it out and and replaced plugs it started and drove for a mile and died again, oh well, i need to replace engine anyway as the distributor has been overworked. :roll:
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matrix733:
I know my rings are fried because there is oil in my spark plug wells, clean it out and and replaced plugs it started :roll: <hr></blockquote><p>you just need new valve cover gaskets, its not the piston rings.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
VEE6

Post by VEE6 »

I have exactly the same problem with my V6.<p>You can be cruizing along and all of a sudden your left wondering how the eff your gonna get out of the of way of the cars behind you in time!<p>Well my little mechanic didn't have a clue, so this stuff will help a lot. New distributor (cap or whole unit though?) New plucgs & cables and possibly - oh my god, new valve cover gaskets..
How much hassle is it top replace the valve cover gaskets though?
Not being a cheapskate, but if all this takes is getting your hands dirty then I'm up for it.. or should I trust the mech to deal with it?<p>By the way, my local Mazda dealer quoted me £65ph to even look at the car. Does that sound right??<p>Peace
VEE6
Matrix733

Post by Matrix733 »

I paid my local dealer $50 US after tax to check mine out.<p>[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Matrix733 ]</p>
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

VEE6,
I'm sure you could do all that yourself, if you have the right tools. Just use the online manual. £65 sounds like an hour's labour - you can do a lot of checking in an hour, so it should be a thorough job.<p>But if your's is an old car, and especially if its a grey import, the dealer probably wasn't keen, and was trying to put you off. I've heard UK Mazda dealers don't like grey imports - the phrase often used is "garlic & crucifix treatment".
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”