Day 4 of the swap ..progress report

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cage

Day 4 of the swap ..progress report

Post by Cage »

Today was a good day no surprises! The engine is out and on the floor. The bell housing is removed and the flywheel is ready to be taken tomorrow to be lightend. I noticed the clutch from Act is a bit wider...don't think it will be a problem. Picking up parts on order tomorrow.
I don't know if anybody cares or remembers, but I bought this Mx-3 knowing it needed an engine...I broke down 2 miles from home last summer (on the way from the dealer). Well now I know why I broke down...The rear of the block is blown out. From looking at it..it looks like I threw a rod. I have thrown a rod before.. in a suzuki side kick ...it was very violent and I knew it was serious when it happend ...but, When the Mx-3 broke down it lost power, came to a stop, and died... Not at all like throwing a rod! Hmmm The damaged area is small, about the size of a half dollar but the damage is definitely from the inside out. Soft hot aluminum block I guess made the rupture non violent?
Well in closing ...I finally got the drivers side axle out ...of coures it is easy when it is on the floor :D
Tomorrow's hopes :
1) flywheel lightend
2) Automatic transmision flex plate removed from Ze
3) Flywheel installed ,Act clutch installed
4) Wheel bearings pressed by mechine shop (good idea thanks dave!)
5) Tie rods installed
6) New timing belt and waterpump installed
7) Water neck from K8 transfered to Ze
8) clean then and have Autozone test my K8 alternator.
Still not sure why I can't use the 110 Amp ZE alternator ..all I have to do is replace the plug...The voltage regulator won't need replaced...? can anybody tell me why its a bad idea ? If you would see my old K8 alternator It is so oil caked that it may start a freakin fire, if I use it :D <p>Thanks
Cage
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Day 4 of the swap ..progress report

Post by IanL »

In my Chilterns, the wiring diagrams for Alternator (with Voltage Regulator)are identical for 90-93 MX-6 / 626 and for 92-95 MX-3, including the cable colours and fuse values - they aren't detailed about the VRs, so maybe you should keep the ZE VR with the ZE alternator (was that what you meant?).<p>Good luck.<p>[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: IanL ]</p>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: Day 4 of the swap ..progress report

Post by Zoso124 »

If you think you can wire it up go for it. The voltage regular is going to be the same, keeps the volts below 14.4 so you don't start frying stuff.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”