vaf or not vaf please HELP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX#3

vaf or not vaf please HELP

Post by MX#3 »

Hey guys I got a strange problem. I had my check engine light coming on for few minutes and while it was on the car would idle rough, then light would go off and everything is back to normal for a few month and then same story again. Until lately it would come on only at low rpm and go off at higher then 3000 and again it would go on for a few min and go away and everything back to normal after. Two days ago it happened and would not go back to normal, so I pulled the code it was 08 – vaf. Next day light was off but car still does not run well, barley idling but fine at high rpm, so what is it?<BR>Is it vaf but why light is not on I didn’t replace it yet or something else?<BR>I checked that boot after vaf did not see anything big on it looks ok?<BR>Help please I don’t know where to start, don’t want to waist money on good parts.
marksoden

Re: vaf or not vaf please HELP

Post by marksoden »

And you don't want to waste your time reading other threads either I guess.
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

did not see anything that would point out the problem.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

VAF questions are pretty common around here, so older members can become bothered with the same question recycling itself. I have to admit, I was fairly annoyed at first, but you're pretty new so there isn't harm in asking. You explained the problem clearly and didn't try to sound pompous.<P>You're problem most likely is a crack in the rubber tubing coming from your throttle body to factory air box. You can pay mazda a lot of money for the tube (Mazda makes great cars, but expensive parts). The small crack is letting in extra air that is causing a lean condition, depriving your engine of the necessary fuel and too much air. Try checking around the rubber tube to search for thin cracks, if you find any you can always seal them with a strong bonding agent. <P>You're other option would be the infamous "Home Depot Intake", seen here in the wonderful V6 FAQ forum <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 3&t=000006" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... =000006</A>. This is a great modification, its inexpensive, and relatively simple. You only require a items and the shopping list and directions are provided.<P>The only other possibility could be that the spring in your VAF isn't functioning or perhaps the sensors have become faulty. Thats unlikely though.<P>Take Care<p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Hy300 ]
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

i agree, the same thing happened to me so i went with the home depot cold air intake and it works wonderfully. just make a support bracket to help carry some of the weight.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”