CEL only on highways?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
viocurse

CEL only on highways?

Post by viocurse »

Well, city driving brings nothing, and a few miles on the highway bring a CEL. If i turn the car off on the highway, then restart the CEL comes on after about 30 seconds. If i exit the higway onto surface streets and restart the CEL stays off. To pull a code doesn't the light have to stay on constantly? Is my car messed up, or just being stupid?<P>1 more question. Does that fuel injector cleaner even do anything? My car felt like it was missing a bit at idle, so i bought a bottle for 3.99. I figure even if it did jack it wasn't too big a waste of money. it idles a bit better but i don't know if it's for real, or just a psychological thing. the one thing i did notice after about 20 miles with it in my tank made me happy. I had a big power drop-off after 6 grand. It felt like it lost 20-30 hp. Now, it keeps makeing more power all the way to redline. I think i am gonna go buy some new plugs, and change the oil. she didn't come with a window sticker of the last change, so i better be safe and get it down now. maybe the plugs will help the idle.
Cam
Teal 1992 MX-3 5-spd
:1.8liters of V6 fury, 2 shiny tips:
:for sale:
MazdaSpeed?
chance

Re: CEL only on highways?

Post by chance »

sounds like an egr problem.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viocurse:<BR><STRONG>Well, city driving brings nothing, and a few miles on the highway bring a CEL. If i turn the car off on the highway, then restart the CEL comes on after about 30 seconds. If i exit the higway onto surface streets and restart the CEL stays off. To pull a code doesn't the light have to stay on constantly? Is my car messed up, or just being stupid?<P>1 more question. Does that fuel injector cleaner even do anything? My car felt like it was missing a bit at idle, so i bought a bottle for 3.99. I figure even if it did jack it wasn't too big a waste of money. it idles a bit better but i don't know if it's for real, or just a psychological thing. the one thing i did notice after about 20 miles with it in my tank made me happy. I had a big power drop-off after 6 grand. It felt like it lost 20-30 hp. Now, it keeps makeing more power all the way to redline. I think i am gonna go buy some new plugs, and change the oil. she didn't come with a window sticker of the last change, so i better be safe and get it down now. maybe the plugs will help the idle.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree that it sounds like something involving the EGR. You can pull codes even with the light is on as the ECU saves all reported codes until you reset it. Pull the codes and see what comes up to further troubleshoot.<P>Fuel injector cleaner does what it says... it helps to unclog dirty injectors. Some even go as far to say it cleans the intake etc. However if dirty injectors isnt the problem you're experiencing, the the cleaner isnt going to do anything for you. It would take an extreme case of clogged injectors (past the point of using cleaner) to effect your car at idle. I suggest you look at other alternatives.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
andy

Post by andy »

I was thinking it sounds like your spark plug wires. When was the last time they were<BR>replaced? If it is the wires, replacing the plugs will only make it more noticeable.<BR> If you do look for wires keep the probe gt and the mx-6 in mind. they will fit and work fine there just a little longer. <BR> Andy P. 93 GS
viocurse

Post by viocurse »

andy, i've had the car for 8 days, so i don't really know it's history... or than it's been neglected. I mean, come on, the damn brake fluid was leaking bad, and all that it needed was 5 seconds to tightin a stupid fitting. I think a chick must have owned this car b4 me. The motor runs great (other than the slight miss at idle) and it passed emmisions with flying colors, but the car itself is in peices. needs a lot of TLC.<P>*I'm not saying ALL girls hurt cars... but most of them just don't car how they maintain them, or don't for that mater.<P>i still have a bit of insurance money left over from the CBR, so i am just trying to fix as many problems as i can before i end up spending the rest of it on toys and beer. plugs and wires sounds like a good idea. mx-3s come with NGK wires right? if that's so then i think it's the stock wires.
Cam
Teal 1992 MX-3 5-spd
:1.8liters of V6 fury, 2 shiny tips:
:for sale:
MazdaSpeed?
andy

Post by andy »

I recommend ngk-vgrove plugs. The wires I'm not sure about the best for our application.<BR>I'm on my 5th set. The first two sets were under warranty and the last two I had to foot the bill. So far so good with this set, which is a bosch set with a lifetime warranty.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

ngk wires for the 2.5 v6s are $65 from autopartgiant.com, i have no issues with them
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

same problem here with the cel oming on on the highway at cruise. it's an egr thing. the whole egr system on this car is junk and does'nt seem to last long at all. I just let the light come on every day though. I still passed emissions. after replacing the $300 valve and piping, the problem went away for about 10,000 miles
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
chance

Post by chance »

i was having egr problems a while back. so i unbolted the valve from the block put in a gasket i made without a hole in it and bolted it back up. runs great and no cel. it does hurt mpg though
userAttila19

Post by userAttila19 »

Hello, I know this is a very late reply, but I have the same problem, I've seen a couple of posting where they refer to removing the EGR and boltingit up, but it hurts the MPG. Sorry to sound ingnorant, but what is the MPG? Thanks..
No time to slow down. 1995 MX-3 GS http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/566272
back alley

Post by back alley »

mpg = miles per gallon.
it's american!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”