cat on or off?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chance

cat on or off?

Post by chance »

What kind of gains can I expect from removing my cat? I'm not talking about everyday driving stuff, just for one night at the track. I took the cat off today at school when I had my car up on the lift to put on a couple new tires (by the way, I put on a set of Dunlop SP sports, I got them for $85 a piece and they hook!) I didn't have time to drive it with the cat off but I did start it up. I sounded like a sick big block, but mean as hell coming from an import. It had great throttle response. Anyone know if taking it off will help or hurt 1/4 mile times. Oh, and I have a stock exhaust.
lazzyie

Re: cat on or off?

Post by lazzyie »

get a testpipe made at a muffler shop, then throw that where your cat would be, as for removing your cat yes it helps, ive seen between 5-25 hp gained from a testpipe, depends on the rest of your engine
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

I've had my cat off for about a year now.... I definately noticed the increase in power, but the car sounds raspy above 3000RPM cos I got a straight pipe welded in.
'93 MX-3 (Eunos Presso)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>10mm ignition leads<BR>Straight through exhaust (no cats)<BR>Automatic->Manual trans. conversion
chance

Post by chance »

exacly what is a test pipe. i was thinking of getting a cat off a junked mx3, cutting the flanges off and welding them to a piece of pipe as long as the cat. a buddy of mine told me muffler shops wont make a piece for me that will fit in place of my cat because it's illeagal, any truth to this?
chance

Post by chance »

everyone posting on the topic "cutout?" says that a cutout would be a bad thing. removing the cat is the same thing. Are you guys sure that just taking off the cat and running it open after the flex pipe would do any good?
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

a test pipe is just that. It's a straight through pipe made to fit where your cat is at. Maybe they won't install it at a reputable muffler shop, but i'm sure you can find a shop that will make one for you.
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09

Post by Guest »

gutting your cat is COOL! hehe but i don;t see the perforamance gains read the FAQ page on back pressure and flow! if your cat is gutted and your car runs alittle rich as mine does! u will shot flames shifting from second to third as my car did which is cool but can get anoying! hehe
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

I heard that it is better to have a pipe bolt inn were your cat goes because the air turbulence in the guted cat.<P>A muffler shop will make the pipe but will not let you leave without a cat installed<P>the car sounds better with it in but goes faster with it out(I beleive , I have no track proof because I've never had a cat installed) :D
13.023 @ 105 mph
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dj_Pawz_GS:<BR><STRONG>gutting your cat is COOL! hehe but i don;t see the perforamance gains read the FAQ page on back pressure and flow! if your cat is gutted and your car runs alittle rich as mine does! u will shot flames shifting from second to third as my car did which is cool but can get anoying! hehe</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>what ecu do you have because my 1.8ecu would shoot flames until I " got ze ecu "<BR>track down smokn'mx-3 for a ze ecu ;)
13.023 @ 105 mph
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dj_Pawz_GS:<BR><STRONG> u will shot flames shifting from second to third as my car did which is cool but can get anoying! hehe</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey, i want to shoot flames!!! HaHA, you say it shoots flames just because you gutted out your cat?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Smokin mx-3

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

advance your timing too <BR>it will happen
chance

Post by chance »

shooting flames does sound pretty cool, but has anyone ran their car at the track or on the street with nothing after the flex pipe. I don't mean with a test pipe i mean just unbolting the cat and leaving it at home.

Post by Guest »

i shot flames with ym stock k8 with a k8 ecu<BR>i got 2.5 inch piping all the way back flames = LOUD back fire people thought a gun went off the first time it happend then when i was running my friend for kicks everyone notived that i shot flames~! its pretty cool i have a pic of it somewhere!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”