ACT Stage II Clutch SLIPPING!! Please Help Me! =(

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93 mx-3 gs/se

ACT Stage II Clutch SLIPPING!! Please Help Me! =(

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Ok, here's the story. I have a MX-3 GS. It used to be a 1.8 V6 with an automatic slushbox attached to it. I wanted some real power so back in march of this year I swapped in a KL-ZE and converted the car to a stick at the same time. While I had the motor out I installed an ACT stage II Clutch kit (model #<A HREF="http://www.advancedclutch.com/v3/appsfr ... asp?ID=512" TARGET=_blank>Z62-HDSS</A>) to handle the additional power and torque. Ever since the day I installed the motor, tranny and clutch I have had NO problems with the ACT clutch,...until now. I was coming home from work yesterday and I had a little open space so I decided to put the beast KL-ZE to work. I hit it and kept it at WOT in first gear up to 7000 tires chirping from 4000 on up in all it's glory and I’m having a blast! :) Then I go to grab second gear real quick and as soon as I hit the gas again after the shift I watch the RPM slip from about 5500 down to about 3900 and that's when the clutch finally hooked up. :) I am happy again. I tried about 4 good "spirited" shifts and success everytime. So I slept good last night not knowing why that fixed it, but not questioning it either. Today, I drove to work, and back again. Both ways I drove like a little old lady in light of what happened the day before. When I was almost home I decided to make sure the clutch was still holding and opened her up again. I take off and on the 1->2 and the 2->3 shift it SLIPS!!! :( My knowlegde is a little bit lacking on this, but I sure want to fix it. If you managed to read all this I have respect for you and I thank you for your time, I just hope someone can help me figure it out. :(<p>[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: 93 mx-3 gs/se ]
mrprecidia

Re: ACT Stage II Clutch SLIPPING!! Please Help Me! =(

Post by mrprecidia »

well I can tell you this i was having the same problem last week and the end result for me was a new clutch $$$$$$$$$$$ :( I was having the exact same problema s you to a tee. the clutch was fine under normal driveing conditions and slipped everytime i tried to race it a bit. my mech told me that my problem was the clutch was slipping when the clutch got hot. I was out practiceing my launch and for the first couple of launches it was fine but then it started to slip so i took it home and parked in the garage next morning i pull it out to go to the mechanic and I decided to see if it was still slipping I mashed it threw it in secound and it grabbed sweet i though then when i got a little closer to the mechanics i decided to try it again and slip. oh well i have a new clutch now and it works great. sorry about your luck sounds like you will need a new one too.
You can just call me the originator
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

What kind of clutch did you have?<P>How long did it last?<P>Were you very hard on it or did it just fail?<P> :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

how many miles do you have on the clutch, i think dave said he's at about 22,000, i have like 5,000 on mine already, did you resurface the flywheel? spit at it?
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

I had the flywheel resurfaced AND I only have like 3500 miles on it. I even made sure there was no oil or debree on any of the surfaces when installing it.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'd change the clutch hose to a SS one. Corksport has them for 18 bucks now. That's going to cause the clutch to linger in the slipping position for longer than you want it to, not fully disengaging. <P>ACT clutches in this application have taken way more torque for ALOT longer than your situation.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

Dave,<BR>where on the corksport site did u find this ss clutch line bc i keep missing it.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>ACT clutches in this application have taken way more torque for ALOT longer than your situation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Exactly. Hey David, have you heard of this happening to other people and the clutch line fixing it? I'll order one. Also, not doubting you but if it is the clutch line, wouldn't this have happended sooner? I have been driving now for 6 months since the swap. If your not too busy could you kinda expand and explain why the clutch line would cause this? Isn't it something to do with the line expanding/shrinking due to temperature? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

I had a centre force clutch broke it in for 500 km and I am not overly hard on it my mech said the release bearing was sticking had about 20000 km on it maybe 7000 with the ze
You can just call me the originator
chance

Post by chance »

I've seen the ss cluch line on corksport but now that I'm looking to buy one i can't find it there, did they stop selling them?
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

i cant find it on the site either.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

my stock probe clutch was slipping bad so I changed it and found that the rear oil seal was leaking oil all over the clutch and once you get oil on an organic plate it is f**KED<P>your plate is kevlar or metal based so it may be salvageable if that is the case
13.023 @ 105 mph
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

I do not feel that oil leakage is the cause of this because if it were, my clutch would not be hooking up, then slipping, hooking up, then slipping. It would just be jacked from the first slip on out, correct? Anyway, I am ordering the SS Clutch line but I still don't understand why this will help. I hope David or someone that knows why it helps will read this and explain it to me.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”