Clutch woes...wonder what I screwed up this time....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
David Coleman

Clutch woes...wonder what I screwed up this time....

Post by David Coleman »

Well, the car is running very strong with the KLZE. <BR>Having fun playing with MGT's and other stock V8 cars.<BR>At any rate, there's just one problem [isn't it always <BR>just one thing?]: the clutch. When I put the car back<BR>together, the rod that was in the slave cylinder wasn't<BR>going to fit, by probably 1/2". So, I had an extra one<BR>from a Protege LX which was just about that much shorter, <BR>so I dropped it in. Still had to purge all the fluid <BR>out of the cylinder to mount it on the tranny, but it <BR>fit [barely]. <P>So when I got the car back together, we bled the clutch<BR>alot, and it still disengages on the bottom of the floor<BR>and sometimes won't disengage at all. I'm thinking it<BR>could be the stock 107k mile rubber clutch line going,<BR>but wouldn't that burst after a while? It's been doing<BR>it since the swap[about a month], which makes me think it<BR>might be something else. When the car's in 1st and <BR>clutch is in at a light, having it creep forward is both<BR>not cool, and bad for clutch life. Having to jam it in <BR>gear when the clutch won't disengage and the wheel speed <BR>doesn't match the engine speed isn't good for alot of<BR>things, which I'd rather not think about. I really don't<BR>need ANOTHER broken gearbox in my garage. The folks are<BR>being quite understanding so far about the engine and<BR>gearbox that are there now. <P>So, any thoughts guys?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
pelado

Re: Clutch woes...wonder what I screwed up this time....

Post by pelado »

Ideas - <P>Earl's part no's for SS clutch line mod:<BR>63010112 12" hose<BR>989545 two adapters<BR>I took the two brackets where the clips secure the clutch hose and chiseled the spacer plate off. You can spot the spacer plate easily, it's spot welded on. Removing the plate allows the clips to be used more easily with the SS line.<P>Stock hose could be ballooning at a bad spot but you should be able to see this when parked.<P>Put the original slave cylinder rod back in. You may not be getting enough movement there.<P>Bleed the slave cylinder some more.<P><BR>Don't feel bad. Two months or so after my swap and I've replaced the front motor mount and water pump (yechh!)!!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

you could have a friend look at the slave shaft while you depress the clutch pedal to see how far it is moving. :) <P> don't feel bad I had a timing belt, 2 motor mounts ,klo3, transmission and disstributor :mad: <BR>all break.
13.023 @ 105 mph
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

hey david which clutch kit are you using...is it the act II clutch for the mx6/probegt??? <P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
white fish

Post by white fish »

isn't there a big write up on probe talk and the rod being to short for the ACT II
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

damn i need to know if this clutch will work cuz i am about to order it.....damn damn damn....which clutch kit should i get for my new ze mx???<P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

I already fixed this :) the act clutch is spaced different. This is the ghetto way so if you dont want to then i understand. Underneath the pedal is the clutch catch point ajustment rod just grab a 12mm wrench break the nut loose and turn the rod towards the front of the car then retighten the nut. my catch point is only about an 1" 1/2" off of the floor but hey works for me! Good luck.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
pelado

Post by pelado »

If you are using the ACT clutch and the problem is the original slave cylinder rod was too long, then I would grind some metal off the rod until it works. <BR>Guesstimate = about a quarter inch if half inch is too much.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm a little 4cyl guy, but i have a g-series gearbox. i had the same problem when i installed my act clutch. the slave cyl. piston was too long. i had to grind a bit off. started out with about an 1/8" then took another 1/8" off so a total of about a 1/4". now i have no problems with the clutch not fully disengaging. dave, i have another piston if you need one....but you'll have to come back up here to get it :D
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

David,<P>A while back I complained about a clutch smell coming from my engine bay and thought maybe the clutch was going. everybody suggested it probably was that so I left it. well beginning of summer decided to switch to Stainless brake lines and did the clutch line at the same time. All I can say is the stainless clutch line is the best mod ever. The clutch disengages/engages beautifully and the best thing is no more clutch smell.That rubber piece there definately balloons more than you think it could. I decided that the smell must have been that rubber piece ballooning causing the clutch to skid/slip as it engaged and disengaged. Do yourself a huge favour and switch to the stainless steel clutch line.
chance

Post by chance »

How hard is the cluch line to get to in the car and where can I get a steal braided one?
pelado

Post by pelado »

Summit, part numbers are above.<P>Easy, easy thing to do. Make sure you use a flare nut wrench, I call 'em line wrenches - same thing.
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

if you checkout the new corksport website they have the ss clutch line there.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”