sudden power loss

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bugz

sudden power loss

Post by bugz »

i just got back from the races an my car is lagen it happends outa the blue ..ill be driving has all the power an then it feels restrained like its being held back .. i was thinking fuel pump or 02 sencers but any one have any clues.. thanks
92GS.KLze 2.5 ,CT26 TURBO,40K MILES,Ram air intake,2.5 cat back,coming.pullys,cams,Pistons,
valves & springs,venom injectors.
voltaire

Re: sudden power loss

Post by voltaire »

Well, if you were really doggin it at the races, you mighta blown a gasket or something. Pull each of your spark plug wires and look for traces of oil, if not, pullout your spark plugs and check for discoloration/disintegration. Check your oil and water and make sure they aren't mixing, look for discoloration there as well. <P>Any smoke coming out of your tail pipe or engine compartment?<p>[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: voltaire ]
bugz

Post by bugz »

yea acually i was thinking it was my clutch now cause itll go with powere then just feel restarained but the rpms still rise but i go hardly at all.. but i just put the clutch in its new ..its gotten pretty bad sometimes were it made me crow hop down the freeway at 70.. it mostly happens when i push it so best to explain feels like clutch is being held up sometimes ..
92GS.KLze 2.5 ,CT26 TURBO,40K MILES,Ram air intake,2.5 cat back,coming.pullys,cams,Pistons,
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

check your Fuel pump screen. I found out yesterday on my way to the track that my GS's gas tank had what looked like mud in it. Ive never gotten the gas that low in it before and was going to run it low to lighten it @ the track. So I pulled out the pump last night before I went and noticed all that gunk in there. Im going to drop my tank and clean it out before I run it next. I had to put gas in it to keep the screen from being clogged. I know that was one of my downfalls @ the track was it was becomming clogged. Remove the back seat. undo the 4 screws over the cover plate. Remove the 6 surrounding the fuel pump. open your gas cap to help relieve some of the pressure prior to this. Get a cup or something to catch the fuel on the high pressure line. Check the fuel screen for gunk. If it is, you have the same probelm as I did. Also it may be your fuel filter. Whens the last time it was changed?
bugz

Post by bugz »

im not sure when i got the car about 4 months ago ( love it ) i ll check the tank but like i was saying though the car almost throws me forward when it does it an the rpms still rise but hardly any mph.. like my sec gear if it dont do it ill pull 60 at 7k rpms while its doing it ill only get 40mph
chance

Post by chance »

i've been haveing the same problem, try unplugging the fron o2 sensor, it helped on mine some
bugz

Post by bugz »

yea i tryed that it work alittle gotta watch doing that u can burn out ur valves doing that .. but the thing im going slower but rpms are still the same <BR> like clutch is slipping im gonna install new clutch see if that fixes it<BR> thanks for the advise everyone been good help
davidosk024

Post by davidosk024 »

so billy what did the problem end up being???<p>clutch? o2? or what?
In
Eunos 30x, v6
KL-ZE, 2.5in exhaust, K&N intake
Unichip, LSD, 13lb flywheel, ACT2 clutch, NGK iridium Plugs, Top Gun Leads...<p>Goin In
Cams, Headers, TB, Extractors,
Bored to 2.8, Mazdaspeed Struts, Mazdaspeed strut tops,
Mazdaspeed swaybars, Eibach springs, Cusco Adj. Strut tops, Body kit, Altezza lights, Short shifter, Crossdrilled rotors and Calipers from AP racing, Braided brake lines, Braided clutch line, Mazdaspeed steering wheel, Mazdaspeed Leather shift knob,
bugz

Post by bugz »

CHANGING MY CLUTCH GOT RID OF IT FOR AWHILE IM NOT SURE ..U COULD TRY CHANGING THE O2 IM STILL NEEDING TO .. BUT WITH CHANGING THE CLUTCH ITS GOOD F0R NOW.. I STILL HAVE SOME LAG THOUGH
sheller

Post by sheller »

I would have to agree with Barry, your next step should be the fuel filter. It is fairly cheap and if you don't know if/when it has been replaced, then it is a good time to do it. After you do that I'd also run some STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner through it. If it is still happening after that then it most likely isn't the fuel system. I'd also check your air filter. If that is extremely dirty it could keep the car from being as snappy as it should. Of course after that start checking the more expensive parts like the O2 sensor. A lot of times when they go however, the check engine light will come on and give you some indication that they've failed. Anyway, good luck with it. <p>Steve

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”