How to boost Low RPM torque

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Vandal

How to boost Low RPM torque

Post by Vandal »

Disclaimer: My knowledge of engines is comparable to a 4 week AutoShop course...please stupidify your answers accordingly...<P>Anyway, I just bought a 93 MX-3 GS SE... mint condition, love the car to death!<P>The one acceleration problem I have been noticing is the lack of Torque from 0-4000 RPM... I was wondering what modifications can be made to specificially target that area.. (if they can be made at all) Like performance exhaust, air intake, SCharge or Turbo. <P>Thanks guys...<P><BR>Blair.
Blair Wendell<P>1993 GS SE. <BR>Black Headlights, Custom shifter+pedals<BR>more to follow...
lazzyie

Re: How to boost Low RPM torque

Post by lazzyie »

all of the above, or swap the 2.5liter v6 out of a ford probe, or mx6 or millenia, search! good luck
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

Sorry, let me rephrase, I know that all the standard stuff will boost the overall Horsepower. But, I was wondering if any of the modifications help with the the lower RPMS more than the upper ones... I'm trying to balance out the accelaration.
Blair Wendell<P>1993 GS SE. <BR>Black Headlights, Custom shifter+pedals<BR>more to follow...
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

well it depends on how much you want to spend if you want to get a new exaust system that would help at any rpm. (if it was catback) but if you want to spend a little less you could a new muffler. with an adjustable mufler you could either leave the silencer/plates or what ever the mufler uses in and get better low rpm torque. but if you went racing take out the silencer/plates and it would deliver better high end preformance. as for turbo/super charging that would be great all around preformance but it would also be expensive. good luck
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

basically no, the way this 1.8liter displacement engine works is that it doesn't have a whole lot of low-end torque, but has worlds of midrange thanks to the vris system which basically works like the secondaries on a carberator(SP) vaccum pressure opens valves which add more air which inturn adds more fuel, basically low displacement needs a lot of money to add power in the low end but hey normal boltons always help, dont got higher than 2.25" on the exhaust though and prm makes a cold air intake for our cars, our stock air boxs do suckass! Good luck!
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

nitrous oxide = the answer to your prayers :D
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Cams and adjustable cam gears should help with the low end torque. Like lazzyie said, everything you stated will boost torque. Yes it will also boost overall horsepower. Why do you not want the added HP? I'd think if you were willing to spend $2K on a turbo system, you'd want the increased HP.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>Cams and adjustable cam gears should help with the low end torque. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Adjustable cam gears are not available for the K8 engine.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

A TD04 9b @ 8psi would help low end torque. Granted, you'd have nothing after 4500rpm, but you'd have torque. <P>Low end power doesnt win races...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

Thanks for the info guys,<P>I know by boosting the overall horsepower, my performance improves all around. The reason I was asking about the low end torque, is that I was hoping for a lower costing mod that would help with everyday driving... Not that I don't like shifting at 6000 rpm going to the grocery store... But you get the idea, I mean, nitro's great for races and smoking the 5.0 GT beside you, but I was hoping for something that would help all the time... SO it looks like air intake/filter, exhaust, and Later ($$$) the engine swap... Thanks a lot guys!<P>What is the "average" cost of swapping the engine, assuming you have a mechanic do the work? (i know it would vary upon the year/km of the engine)... but whats the price around...?<P>Thanks again,
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

well engineland is next to you i believe, so ze's are like $800, or there is aspec.com which does the swaps daily i think is $3500 canadian dollars, shift at 6000 rpms? I am so confused i mean the car is not that slow!
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

6000RPM's? Why so low?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

you can't beat cubes for torque<P><BR>2.5l a-spec all low ---kl46 cpu [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
13.023 @ 105 mph

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”