Maintaining my KL-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nicolasbeique

Maintaining my KL-ZE

Post by nicolasbeique »

Engine should be here in a matter of days... mechanic at the tuning shop said that its better to change certain things when they recieve the engines (timing belts, etc...)<P>Just wondering what should be changed before it gets installed. Anything about the KL/KL-ZE engines that wears down fast?<P>Thanks for the help. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Maintaining my KL-ZE

Post by Custommx3 »

if your going to do the swap, Id do it right the 1st time.<BR>I'd change your axles if not new, your clutch deffinatley, maybe your ball joints if worn. Better to do allof this because the motor is already out. As far as the timing belt goes, the sellers CLAIM less than 35K miles, I wouldnt think it needs to be changed, but you could look at it when you get the motor for signs of wear. All fluids should be flushed, tranny, motor oril of course. Id flush the radiator and maybe the breakfluid as well. Be carefull when taking off the VRIS silenoids of yours are broken on your ze (pauls were) the nipples tend to break off easitly. Its also a perfect time to change your vavle cover gaskets (they should be the same as the 1.8L) maybe new wires (just inspect them 1st) and maybe some new plugs. Rememeber, someone else owned this motor. There is no telling if they took care of it or not, so the best bet IMO is to get it all done when the motor is out, its MUCH easier. <BR>A good idea when doing your swap, get a digital cam and take LOTS of pics of your motor and EGR setup (thats if you decide to still use it) so if you say "where does this wire go?" refer to the pictures. I'd get some ziplock bags as well as marker, and write down what bolts came off of what,so you dont loose any and can put them back. there is also a vaccume hose, I believe goes from your master cylinder and your Intake manifold thats directional. It has a vavle that opens when air travels through it. To check it, blow in one end, then inthe other, you'll notice air flows only 1 way. Mark it the way it came off of the car. Id also change your belts. Id talke the old belts to autozone or Advance and let the measure it and check the grooves, to get a good belt that will work. ( good idea to write that info down to and put it in your glove box. If your driving and it breaks, you'll have no reference later.<P>Did you get the lightened Fidenza flywheel?<BR>Or a new clutch?
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

water pump as well if you do change the timing belts, like barry said mark everything, get the millenia brake booster vaccum hose and uncap the vaccum port on the back of im, run it to there cap the port on the u side of the im, bleed clutch afterwards, have fun good luck!
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

swap the water inlet from the k8 to the kl basically meaning you get to do the timing belt anyways unless you want to tap the inlet, its easy to swap when the engine is on the ground
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

thanks for all the help!<P>Berry: Who sells axles and ball joints? (stock or performance?) And what's the price range for those?<P>What does a lightened fly wheel do vs the stock one? The thing is that I won't have my tranny(mx6) for like a month after my engine so I was thinking of putting the engine in and then putting a ACT II cluth when the tranny gets here. :D
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”