The Age old KLZE problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Evil G

The Age old KLZE problem

Post by Evil G »

Hey All,<P>Without getting all nasty, is there a list of engine stamp codes you can refer to, to make sure you are getting a genuine KLZE - I say this because in New Zealand, we are supposed to only get KL-ZE's. (not KL03s or KL-DE's or whatever) Now I know all the general stuff to identify a ZE like by looking at the intake manifold, but I don't want to fall prey to buying an 03 with a ZE manifold on it.<P>Any identifying features on the actual block would be a nice way to ID one.<P>If this question has already been answered then sorry for not spotting it. And if some Agro bugger posts nasty messages to me for posting this, then may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his lower regions! :)<P>cheers guys! :)
'93 MX-3 (Eunos Presso)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>10mm ignition leads<BR>Straight through exhaust (no cats)<BR>Automatic->Manual trans. conversion
killerpickle

Re: The Age old KLZE problem

Post by killerpickle »

ok, umm, im trying to remember.<P>I think it is supposed to say kl 31 somewhere...err...sorry that didn't help at all...someone else will know for sure...! :)
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
pelado

Post by pelado »

These numbers will be cast in the head, just under the valve cover flange in the middle, on the intake manifold side: KL31-101 on rear head, KL31-1A1 on front head. <P>I don't know any numbers for the block that distinguish the ZE from the DE. Sorry!<P>Oh yeah, pull the front valve cover and look for KL31 cast into the cams.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>These numbers will be cast in the head, just under the valve cover flange in the middle, on the intake manifold side: KL31-101 on rear head, KL31-1A1 on front head. <P>I don't know any numbers for the block that distinguish the ZE from the DE. Sorry!<P>Oh yeah, pull the front valve cover and look for KL31 cast into the cams.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>My ZE cams say KL01, as do most Millenia ZE's. The KL31 head code is the key that's on all ZE's.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

so im assuming KL01-101 would be a millenia klde...pinche swapjdm.com, wondered why my car is not as fast as i hoped
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

Hey, where in NZ do you live? I'd like to see a MX-3 with a KL-ZE in it, a bit of a prieview before I do it myself.<P>ICQ me if you live in Christchurch,<BR>110859253.
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

Sorry dude... I'm in Auckland.... And the project realistically wont go ahead until next year :(... dang!
'93 MX-3 (Eunos Presso)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>10mm ignition leads<BR>Straight through exhaust (no cats)<BR>Automatic->Manual trans. conversion
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I check all this kind of stuff before my swap also, The only thing I can tell you is that the 170 hp millenia and the 200 hp millenia are EXACTLY the same from the outside except for 2 things.<P>1)There is a block off plate on the back of the Intake manifold on the japanese engine, This is where the E.G.R. valve bolts on but in japan they dont have them.<P>2)The rear Exhaust Manifold is not tapped for the E.G.R pipe, it would normally have a hole in the side.<P><BR>I dont know if the cars where you are come with EGR valves or not.<P><BR>The only other way to make sure you get a ZE is to get one from a MX-6 or 626. The ze has the same head numbers as the Millenia (KL31-1A1) and the intake manifold has a longer straight neck which will hit the brake master cylinder when you put it in the MX-3(need to modify it)
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG><BR>My ZE cams say KL01, as do most Millenia ZE's. The KL31 head code is the key that's on all ZE's.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This has been discussed before I believe. Not all ZE's are created equal, the Millenia ZE's were not rated at the same HP as the MX-6 version. I recall a thread on probetalk where one guy was extremely pissed that his just delivered ZE had KL01 cams.<P>This is totally based on info picked up here and on Probetalk. I've never seen a webpage with the definitive answer on this. <P>Slightly off topic but....anyone have a link to a site with all the specs of a JDM MX-6/626/MX-3? All the Honda guys seem to know exactly what the JDM versions were equipped with down to the inside door handles, it'd be nice if Mazda afficionados had similar info as well.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

luckily enough for me, New Zealand gets japanese import cars only.... which means two things... all the engines are J-Spec, and if I do get a Genuine KLZE, my car is a right hand drive, and so the neck of the throttle body wont hit the brake master cylinder cos it's on the other side of the car (Wicked)<P>Okay... so let me see if I can sum this all up ---<P>A Genuine 200HP KLZe has the following features!:<BR>1) it has KL-31 101 and KL 31 1A1 stamped onto the heads, and KL31 on the cams<BR>2) The intake manifold has bigger runners than the 03 and a big VRIS 'hump' at the back.<BR>3) The ZE from an MX-6 has a straight throttle body neck whilst the millenia neck is curved down slightly (Like our 1.8 engines)<BR>4) the KLZE has flat pistons whilst the 03 has dished ones (To lower the compression ratio I assume)<P>Anything else??? Or anything wrong with this list???<P>Oh yeh... the japanese spec KF engine has a very similar looking intake manifold to the KLZE (straight neck etc etc) however in my travels to engine yards, I've found that there is a stamp on the rear of the block near to the heads I think that says "KF xxxxxx" or something.... a good giveaway cos I nearly bought a KF from an engine guy.... like I said they look hell similar over here.<P>One other thing... the Japanese spec K8's put out 145 hp .... I know this because I own one... they have a 10:1 compression ratio (not sure what the US spec K8's have??) and some other strange additions... and for the life of me I can't locate any EGR stuff on them.... pretty cool huh?<P>any constructive additions to this?<P>cheer's
pelado

Post by pelado »

On the timing belt end of the engine, beneath the rear head on the block will be a large cast oval with the engine type designator inside the oval - KL, K8, whatever. Easy way to check for displacement.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”