Engine probs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
zeek

Engine probs

Post by zeek »

Hey all. I just bought my first car. IT was the 93 MX-3 GS i think..with the 1.8 V6 in it. The problem im havin is when i first go to start it, it never starts first turn. also its puffin out a lil oil when i change gears. and sometimes when it first starts up it will idle at about 1500 or so. but it sounds really grumbly. dont know if it the timeing belt or valves. im thinkin about gettin both fixed. just not sure...any help would be really appreciated.<BR>thanks all<BR>laterz
Maddbuck

Re: Engine probs

Post by Maddbuck »

welcome,<P>Hard starting might be fixed by a good service. If you do it yourself - start by changing the spark plugs and possibly the wires. Getting the timing belt changed is usually a good idea when you first buy the car - at least that way you know when it was done aslo the timing will be set right. (timing belt labour is rather expensive so mazda may recommend changing the water pump while in there as well as the accessory belts.)<BR>The 1500rpm on startup is normal and the rpms should go back down after the engine is warm.<BR>Oil burning is more of a major problem and could be a number of things incl. valve guide seals, valve gaskets or worst case a piston ring.<BR>hope I helped you some
zeek

Re: Engine probs

Post by zeek »

ya i think im gona go down to the mazda dealer tomorow and see what it will cost to get the valves changed and timeing belt changed. hopefully its not too too much. should i have a pressure test done on the valvs? or just get them changed?<BR>thanks for the help<BR>laterz

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”