A little 1.8L FYI

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SE-Man

A little 1.8L FYI

Post by SE-Man »

I'm not to sure this is exactly accurate but their were two kinds of 1.8L V6's. The differance i found out from the machanics, their were two types of engine made for the 93 MX-3 one was called the Rocket Baby V6(like most of us have) and the other was called the MRX (like my old blown one). Their were only two hundred MRX's built, and only for the U.S. GS SE dealer display models. Just my luck thats what i ended up get'n in mine. I looked at the two engine side by side and the MRX was shorter, the heads were shorter hight and lenght, the cams were about 1" shorter. No parts would convert over from my old block to my new one but my intake manifold. (I acctually check all the part fittings myself) Anyone else with a SE have probs fitting parts on theirs?
David Coleman

Re: A little 1.8L FYI

Post by David Coleman »

This MRX business is news to me, and goes against every piece of research I've done on these engines for the last 3 years. I think somebody is feeding you some bs. <P>What are the head numbers, cam numbers, block number of the "MRX" motor?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

The only thing i found were illegible due to block damage. the top of the block was damaged as metal peaces were foreced out between the block and the head. all the pistions looked like chewed gum. one cylinder's complet valve system was shatered and sent through the engine. but next time i go i'll see if their were any numbers on the outside. But their is a big visable differace between the two.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Well, I know Darin Pemberton and Billy Dawson work at Ft Lewis, and they're very knowledgable about K series motors, so I'd look them up and let them have a look at your motor and show you what's going on there.
David Coleman
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Cool, But trust me theres a diffeace in the two motors. I've been working on cars long enough to know whats up. The engine works paid for already, the mechanics not asking for more money, just to get the car out of his garage. So no signs of a scam.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

93 se was the mazda aniversary edition right? dont you have one dave? 2.2 v6 now that boggles the mind...
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG>Cool, But trust me theres a diffeace in the two motors. I've been working on cars long enough to know whats up. The engine works paid for already, the mechanics not asking for more money, just to get the car out of his garage. So no signs of a scam.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Teri, they are scamming you, or simply dont know what they are talking about. There was NEVER a 2.2L engine in a MX-3. There was one in the MX-6, but it was a I-4 and a piece of junk.<p>[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: ProtegeSTS ]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

uhhh.... The 2.2L V6 is my reworked 1.8L that i'm building now. i'm talking about the 1.8L i pulled out of my car to put my new 2.2L into it. It really has no bearing on anything i'm doing now. I just thought it odd to end up with TWO different types of heads and cams. I couldn't re-use the old cams cuz of the damage to them. No ones try'n to scam me, at most the machanic is off, but their are TWO different 1.8L Mazda V6's. I checked Car-Quest, they have two differnt sized cams for the 1.8L but only one type of head. Mazda said theirs only one size of cam.... I think theirs more to it.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG>uhhh.... The 2.2L V6 is my reworked 1.8L that i'm building now. i'm talking about the 1.8L i pulled out of my car to put my new 2.2L into it. It really has no bearing on anything i'm doing now. I just thought it odd to end up with TWO different types of heads and cams. I couldn't re-use the old cams cuz of the damage to them. No ones try'n to scam me, at most the machanic is off, but their are TWO different 1.8L Mazda V6's. I checked Car-Quest, they have two differnt sized cams for the 1.8L but only one type of head. Mazda said theirs only one size of cam.... I think theirs more to it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>lemme guess, you dont have any pictures of these, now do you?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

What the engine? Its not much different from the basic 1.8, just larger cylinders. Or the heads? I prolly could get some. Hey David, you gonna get those guys to contact me?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG>uhhh.... The 2.2L V6 is my reworked 1.8L that i'm building now. i'm talking about the 1.8L i pulled out of my car to put my new 2.2L into it. It really has no bearing on anything i'm doing now. I just thought it odd to end up with TWO different types of heads and cams. I couldn't re-use the old cams cuz of the damage to them. No ones try'n to scam me, at most the machanic is off, but their are TWO different 1.8L Mazda V6's. I checked Car-Quest, they have two differnt sized cams for the 1.8L but only one type of head. Mazda said theirs only one size of cam.... I think theirs more to it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Actually there's 4 different cams for each engine, as each one is different. same lobe profiles though. <P>Next time I talk to Darin I'll mention it...
David Coleman
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I know that, what the issue is is that ALL the cams out of my old. 1.8L are about an inch shorter that the space on my new heads.<BR>I'll try to get pics today.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Plz take some pics we our all very interested.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

OK, I have the facts now. Theirs two mechanics working on my car, one has no experiance in import cars, and the main mechanic has been working on my car the last year. The main mechanic is deaf and has speach probs, the Info was past from him to the one with lesser experiance to me. I talked to the main mechanic today and pulled the engine out to get a full look at it. the Left Head is the only real differance. (K81A1 is the number on it) (Right head is K8101) And the Left side cams won't fit into it. I tryed and their about an inch shorter than the proper cam and the holding lip is in the back not the front but the heads lip braket is in the front. After further checking all the cams had the same number on them (K801). And what the main mechanic was try'n to pass on to me was on type of the Rocket Baby V6's was a Type MRX (basicly meaning the cams mirrored each other) so that on the MRX their is only two different types of cams, the intake and the exaust. No right or left head differance in the two. The other type's cams are different all around. I now have the other type and need to get the proper cams cuz my old one noe longer fits. Hope that made sence, i have pics now i'll try to develope them tomorrow.<P>Oh it was 2000 of these engines made in 93, not a total of 200 for all.<p>[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: SE-Man ]
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I just verified with NAPA, they checked distributor kits and ther are two types! They said that on one type the cam is 3/4 an inch longer than the other. <P>The mechanic has already dumped the old engine, and Left head. so I can't get the numbers off of them.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”