hla clack? pulley noise? Help me illiminate this....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
onyx_ZX3

hla clack? pulley noise? Help me illiminate this....

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

I dont think it is a cam pulley noise(whichever the 1.8v-6 is known for) but i do have the rear firewall valve cover off and was wondering if i could soak the lifters or around them in somthing to make then loosen up or whatever it would take to stop the noise... The cams look good, no odd marks. I dont know what it really is though because the car did sit non running for a 8 month period, but i have flushed the motor and am ruinning synthetic...<P>should i do the flush thing every 500 miles for a while and actually try one of those "magic" engine oil additives? Whatever, it is it does rise with rpms and is quite loud at idle(can hear it over exhaust with no rear section at idle.)<BR> :( :( :( :( :( [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
92 GS Black (retired to wife control, but in my care)<BR>01 Focus Zx3 Black<BR>I'm Still Stationed In AR...Help???
ProtegeSTS

Re: hla clack? pulley noise? Help me illiminate this....

Post by ProtegeSTS »

what kind of noise is it?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

the sound of metal, kind of a ta ta ta ta....(that sounded stupid didnt it...) it rises with the rpms. It does sound like a valve kind of. I think the online manual says to put an extra quart of oil in or two to see if it goes away, and then it is a HLA. I havent tried that yet. I have the vlave cover off, i was trying to see if there was anything i could do physically to soak them or whatnot...
92 GS Black (retired to wife control, but in my care)<BR>01 Focus Zx3 Black<BR>I'm Still Stationed In AR...Help???
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onyx_ZX3:<BR><STRONG>the sound of metal, kind of a ta ta ta ta....(that sounded stupid didnt it...) it rises with the rpms. It does sound like a valve kind of. I think the online manual says to put an extra quart of oil in or two to see if it goes away, and then it is a HLA. I havent tried that yet. I have the vlave cover off, i was trying to see if there was anything i could do physically to soak them or whatnot...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>there is, but you'll have to pull the cams out...which is a pain. i wrote about what i did in the 4 cylinder forum..you can probably find it quickly.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

maybe i will just opt for the ole' ZE swap.<P>Maybe with the stars aligned, the wife in agreement, and the bank account in agreement I can do that sometime.....<P>I will just hold out, and see what I can do with it from the outside of the motor and ride it till it dies who knows..other than that the car sounds great and purrs nice, maybe if i actually drive it more than 10 miles a month it will go away...<P>Robert<p>[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: onyx_ZX3 ]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”