Custom two filter air intake.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
richocet1

Custom two filter air intake.

Post by richocet1 »

I had an idea and wanted to know if anyone has tried it. A friend suggested putting on a new air intake. We thought of taking the factory piece that holds the map sensor and the snorkle, taking the snorkle off, and adding a second cone filter to that piece. Has anyone tried this? Will it do any damage to the car? Would I have to add a second map sensor? Oh, do I even need the map sensor on the car?
You still can't touch my car!!!
ProtegeSTS

Re: Custom two filter air intake.

Post by ProtegeSTS »

why would you run 2 filters?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>why would you run 2 filters?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Have more air coming into the engine. <P>got another quick question. What is the small hose hooked up to the air intake box for? Is it necessary for the car to run properly?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

you'll lose velocity. Bad idea.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

The small little hose is the vacuum tube for the EGR system. If you change your stock intake box to an aftermarket one it would be a good idea to place a small air filter onto it unless you jack it into the main system between the VAF and filter.
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maddbuck:<BR><STRONG>The small little hose is the vacuum tube for the EGR system. If you change your stock intake box to an aftermarket one it would be a good idea to place a small air filter onto it unless you jack it into the main system between the VAF and filter.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am not talking about the snorkle or whatever it isi called, but the small hose that is connected from a nozzle on the left of the box to the engine. It is marked by a snall white x. What does it do?
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maddbuck:<BR><STRONG>The small little hose is the vacuum tube for the EGR system. If you change your stock intake box to an aftermarket one it would be a good idea to place a small air filter onto it unless you jack it into the main system between the VAF and filter.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What is the EGR system?
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ive already tried it a long time ago. personally, i think i should slap myself for even thinking of trying it. sure youll have two intake filters, but that doesnt mean youll get more air...i mean theyre still connected to the same intake tube. unless you can get two intake tubes connected to a custom throttlebody or maybe something like a twin turbo setup uses, then it might be a different story and may be worth the effort of looking at hp gains and results...otherwise, it's just useless.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by richocet1:<BR><STRONG><P>What is the EGR system?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>EGR- commonly refered to as the EGR Valve. Stands for "Exaust Gas Recirculating" Valve. The exaust gasses that pass by the rings on your pistons would over pressurize the crankcase with out some sort of release system. This system recirculates the exaust gases back into the intake which lowers emissions. Although I'm confused as to why the vaccume system would be tied into it. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

okay, thanks. another question, does having a cold air intake have any negatives to it, as far as the distance the air has to travel to get to the engine? Do you add a cold air intake on in addition to a new intake?
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quazi5:<BR><STRONG><P>EGR- commonly refered to as the EGR Valve. Stands for "Exaust Gas Recirculating" Valve. The exaust gasses that pass by the rings on your pistons would over pressurize the crankcase with out some sort of release system. This system recirculates the exaust gases back into the intake which lowers emissions. Although I'm confused as to why the vaccume system would be tied into it. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't confuse EGR with PCV. Positive Crankcase Ventilation gets rid of the vapors in the bottom end. EGR is purely for emissions. The EGR valve is actuated by a pair of solenoid valves that either port vacuum to it to open it or provide a vent path to relieve the vacuum to close it. The EGR is opened by the ECM when engine conditions would produce high emissions.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by richocet1:<BR><STRONG>okay, thanks. another question, does having a cold air intake have any negatives to it, as far as the distance the air has to travel to get to the engine? Do you add a cold air intake on in addition to a new intake?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Only negative is the possible ingestion of water on CAI's whose intake is low to the ground. This is a big negative but the solution is to avoid standing water and heavy rain while driving.<P>No, you don't need a CAI with another intake. Although some muscle cars from the 60's had intakes with vacuum operated doors that would open at full throttle and allow air from the top of the hood to be sucked in. The engine's air normally came from the engine compartment.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”