IDLE too high

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tonymx3

IDLE too high

Post by tonymx3 »

hey everyone, i just wanted to ask you guys a question that's been buggin me for a while....<P>i have a '96 GS MX-3 and when my car gets warm and it's warm outside and i've been driving for a while and i suddenly come to a stop or something instead of idling where it should normally be... at less than 1000rpm, it idles between 2000-3000rpm and i have to tap the gas pedal from underneath to get it to idle at a regular rate again... i used to have racing pedals on and but i've since taken them off and it's still occuring.... i've checked to make sure that the pedal isn't getting stuck to anything and it's not...<P>any ideas?? possibly the spring is messed up?<P>Tony
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS<BR>TONY MX3
Jack_Frost

Re: IDLE too high

Post by Jack_Frost »

Yea, mine does this too. It has nothing to do with the pedals however...<P>I am actually trying to fix this prob right now. A friend (orangegsr) also had this problem and fixed it. It has to do with the clutch switches. One is inside, behind the clutch (white box), and one is in the engine bay (metal box). I am unsure which will solve the prob, but when I do, I'll let you know...I know one of them has to do with starting problems as well, but dunno which.
tonymx3

Post by tonymx3 »

hey JackFrost, thanks for the feedback, i was starting to think i had done somethin wrong here... i'd certainly appreciate some feedback once you get that straighened out!<P>Regards,<BR>Tony
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

ya know mine did that for a while and still does over rev when its hot outside.i thought that maybe the linkage at the throttle body might be full of crap,but you think it could be the clutch switches.<P>please let me now if this is the problem.<P>thanks
fuzzy red mx-3
Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost »

Just replaced one of the switches (small metal box behind clutch with small white plastic prod-like thing coming out of it). The spring was completely shot. Anyways it seems to have helped some but it still does over-rev a bit when it's hot out. Just got it changed today, so I haven't had much time to play with it. Haven't rebooted the computer either. The rpm no longer changed when I'm shifting at a standstill though :)<P>The part is about 15$ from madza (i know i spelt it wrong, but it looks kinda funkay this way)<P><BR>I know what you mean. I hate it when I'm the only one that has some weird, sometimes intermittent problem. It lifts a burden off my conscious knowing that someone else either has or had it.<p>[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Jack_Frost ]
Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost »

Ok, still have the problem...I think i'm going to order the other switch and we'll see. I did that that "changing rpm's when in idle and switching gears though"
tonymx3

Post by tonymx3 »

Hey JackFrost, i knew it had something to do with the springs.... well... i'm glad that this is getting some attention cause it was really starting to piss me off... i'm gonna go order the springs from mazda tommorow and see what happens once their changed! is the procedure complicated to change them? i can't imagine it's all that bad...<P>regards boys,<BR>Tony
Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost »

I don't think you could just order the springs. I haven't quite solved this prob yet either, but a part of it was the metal clutch switch, worth about 15$ at mazda. I am going to order the other one to see if that makes any difference too. <P>The metal one is very easy to replace.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”