Plz help me

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Johnny 2 Hotty

Plz help me

Post by Johnny 2 Hotty »

Iv had my mx3 now for like a year ive got a body kit and clear tails but i need rims ive only got the 1.8 would 17's slow me down to much.And how do i fix that stupid ticking motor thxs
Wildman640

Re: Plz help me

Post by Wildman640 »

Hey, i am not really sure about the answer to your question. I was just wanting to see what part of WV you are from?<p>[ June 24, 2002: Message edited by: Ronnie ]
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

that ticking is a spring locateed by the timing belt that needs to be replaced. it doesnt affect performance but is just a neusance. do a search and youll find exactly what its called and where to find it. its only like a $10-15 part.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

ticking is your lifters and its common for all K series engines, not a valve spring. Changing a valve spring is a huge job! Only $600-700 at the dealer, and always change that water pump and timing belt at the same time.<p>[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Zoso124 ]
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

I have drasticly reduced the ticking in my motor by running thick synthetic oil (I tried thinner first and it seemed to be worse in my motor for some reason). Try Mobil 1 15-50 or Mobil ? 5-50. 5-50 should be better for starting, but I didn' t see it when I did my change so I have the 15-50 stuff. Also use a genuine Mazda filter or a K&N filter they are supposed to have a valve in to keep oil in the engine while it's stopped to help starting.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

There is no oil that is 5W-50, Don't use a Fram filter they are garbage.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoso124:<BR><STRONG>ticking is your lifters and its common for all K series engines, not a valve spring. Changing a valve spring is a huge job! Only $600-700 at the dealer, and always change that water pump and timing belt at the same time.<P>[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Zoso124 ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I believe he's referring to the cam gear frictioner spring. That does cause some noise in low RPM's. There is a TSB on it on <A HREF="http://www.MX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>www.MX-3.com</A>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Zoso124<BR> <B>There is no oil that is 5W-50</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>how is that so when i'm running castrol syntec 5w-50 in my car?<P><A HREF="http://www.castrolusa.com/products/prod ... oduct_id=4" TARGET=_blank>castrol syntec</A>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Syntec is loaded with ash. Mobil 1 is a far superior oil. However, I heard they are going to be reformulating it soon to have more ash content, so I might be switching to redline or amsoil.<P>FWIW, I've run 0w30 mobil 1 on the street with no issues. Nice and slick :)
David Coleman
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

yeah, i got it because i didn't have time to order redline when i was doing my swap. i was thinking about using redline, amsoil, or lucas.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>yeah, i got it because i didn't have time to order redline when i was doing my swap. i was thinking about using redline, amsoil, or lucas.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Last I heard, Lucas was full of wax. Quiets everything down, but gums up small passages [like HLA's] in the long run.<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”