V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
sneed

OBDII

Post by sneed »

what is this and will it affect my kl03 swap
platinum MX

Re: OBDII

Post by platinum MX »

Onboard Diagnostics Control....its more or less the computer system that runs the engine. OBDI is much better to go with if you plan on modding your engine at all. OBDII is "smarter" in that it will counter-act your modifications (retard timing, change fuel pressure, etc)and you wont see as much horsepower gains. Not good. 95 or older engines are OBDI. You can use 96+ engine but you have to use a OBDI harness and ECU on them.
Dave<BR>93 Mx-3 GS SE *under construction*<BR>95 Prelude *3rd place at Carlisle Custom Compact Nationals 2002 92+ Prelude Wild class*
gleichnerr

Post by gleichnerr »

I thought that "OBDII" was a term used for an "Industry-Standard" port, and not to the ECU itself.<P>For instance, our '97 VW Passat has an OBDII connector, while it also has a Bosch Motronic ECU. GM cars, which have Delco ECUs, also have OBDII connectors.<P>Basically, my understanding of the OBDII "port", is that it allows certain types of "standard" Engine Analyzers (such as those used by Wisconsin DMV for emissions testing), to be plugged into your car, without needing to have a Mazda-Specific Analyzer / Computer. I believe that it puts out signal from certain sensors on specific, standardized pins of a standardized plug.<P>Some of you "Pros" out there - correct me if I'm wrong??
Ron Gleichner<BR>1992 GS<BR>Stock (at least, for now)<P>ZOOMX3
platinum MX

Post by platinum MX »

with all due respect.....it is what i described above. It might also have to do with what you said but i know what i stated above is true.
Dave<BR>93 Mx-3 GS SE *under construction*<BR>95 Prelude *3rd place at Carlisle Custom Compact Nationals 2002 92+ Prelude Wild class*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”