HELP! buying a MX-3 (i hope)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3Mazda

HELP! buying a MX-3 (i hope)

Post by Mx3Mazda »

well hello, i am new here.. and i jsut had a car stolen and burnt and i think i want to buy a Mx-3 next.. iw as wondering if u guyscould tell me problem spots to look for, and ask about.. liek wat is a common break down etc.. and also, is there 2 diff engines or what.. id otn know much about these cars.. thanks.. i jsut in general need info on wat to look for when i go shopping.. thanks<BR>kendal
mattster

Re: HELP! buying a MX-3 (i hope)

Post by mattster »

welcome to the bulletin board! the mazda mx-3 is a great car to buy i would totally reccomend it. the 1992-1994 models come with either a 4 cylinder 1.6L 16v SOCH or a V6 1.8L 24v DOCH. from personal experience, the V6 is a much better choice due to much more power plus capabilities of easily swapping a 2.5L V6 engine in.<BR>mazda paint doesn't seem to hold up very good so take a close look at the body for the paint conditioin. also listen closely to make sure that the V6 engine isn't making a tapping/ticking sound... this is a very common problem in the K-series engines. its not a terrible thing to my knowlege but it definitely isn't enjoyable. other than that just make sure to check the basic things: smooth tranny, straight driving, good interior, no oil leaks, no electrical problems etc. have fun!
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Q187

Post by Q187 »

Definately look for a GS....which is the V6 model. Also, get a 5 speed. Auto trannys suck in the V6s. I've had to rebuild my auto tranny twice since i got my car last year.
Mx3Mazda

Post by Mx3Mazda »

neone else have advice??
Mx3Mazda

Post by Mx3Mazda »

also, what is the gas mileage diff betweeen the GS and the non GS
Mx3Mazda

Post by Mx3Mazda »

no offence but do people not like to be helpfull here?
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Mx3Mazda - You're new here, so I'll cut you some slack, but pipe down. Just because someone doesn't reply to your thread doesn't mean people aren't helpful - look over the past threads and im sure you'll find the answers to your questions.
mattster

Post by mattster »

I think off the top of my head the GS gets 23 and the RS gets like 30
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Check the CV joints, this is a very common problem in our cars, if you hear a knocking sound when you turn then the CV is going. Cheap repair, but you can use it as leverage in your bargaining. I wouldn't worry to much about hearing a clicking noise in the engine its extremely common. I think it has to do with sticking HLA's or something, I also heard that its a normal sound for the K series of engines (K8 is in the GS v6). Buy the GS version, or you might regret it. It looks nicer, is faster, and sounds so much nicer that a 4 banger. There are also 2 different interior styles, 92-93, and 94+, the latter reminds me of a new grand am, with the rounded air vents, and the 92-93 is plain looking but still very nice. I can't really think of anything else...check autotrader.com and good luck :)<P>Tom
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Mx3Mazda

Post by Mx3Mazda »

thank you VERY much killepickle.. i test drove one today and i heard that tick.. imt aking it to the Mazda dealer to have the car checked out.. i mite be a proud owner! its a Gs by the way.. and THE ONLY PROB Is:, that when i am accellerating in first bewtween 2500 and 3500 the car shakes a bit.. ne idea what this is? thanks
Q187

Post by Q187 »

Cool man, hope that car works out for you. What year was it? What color?
Mx3Mazda

Post by Mx3Mazda »

92 GS, its a tealish/green
disturbed321

Post by disturbed321 »

I might have helped, eh heh :p Is it that one in Moose Jaw?
I Eat Dodges & s--- Fords
mazda_stud

Post by mazda_stud »

CooL man! I'm also looking for a mx-3. Not to many for sale at the current time, here in Regina is there? One guy is selling a 1995 in weburn. But thats all the mx-3's in the papper last time I checked. I have a question, How come I can't find a 1994 gs 5spd with A/C, But almost every auto I have looked at has it. Does it not exist, I really want a 94 gs 5spd with A/C and a sunroof. Any for Sale!
LIFE IS A HIGHWAY I WANT TO DRIVE IT ALL NIGHT LONG!
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mazda_stud:<BR><STRONG>CooL man! I'm also looking for a mx-3. Not to many for sale at the current time, here in Regina is there? One guy is selling a 1995 in weburn. But thats all the mx-3's in the papper last time I checked. I have a question, How come I can't find a 1994 gs 5spd with A/C, But almost every auto I have looked at has it. Does it not exist, I really want a 94 gs 5spd with A/C and a sunroof. Any for Sale!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>GS's got very rare after 93. Most cars nowadays are ATX anyways, cause people tend to go the lazy route.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”