2.5 heads on 1.8??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
platinum MX

2.5 heads on 1.8??

Post by platinum MX »

ive been searching through the board4 and reading A LOT of posts and must say you guys have a great site here.....the question i have is this: i have a 1.8l with lower miles and was wondering if i could swap the 2.5 heads and manifold onto my engine(since it has low miles) and get the same performance( or close to it) as the engine swap. <P>thanks in advance for your help
Dave<BR>93 Mx-3 GS SE *under construction*<BR>95 Prelude *3rd place at Carlisle Custom Compact Nationals 2002 92+ Prelude Wild class*
Gabi

Re: 2.5 heads on 1.8??

Post by Gabi »

No!!
See you in my rear wiew!!
white fish

Post by white fish »

I pretty sure you can swap the heads no prob but as far as HP it will be more then 130 but less then 160
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'm pretty sure you'll lose hp. By swapping KL heads onto a K8 block, you gain valve size, but lose compression and all quench area, which is bad. Swapping is so cheap anyways! It can easily be done for under 1000USD!
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
sneed

Post by sneed »

were can i buy a klze for 1000 dollars please tell me.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Not a KLZE, but if you check junk yards you can frequently find KLDE's [KL03] for 1000USD or so. <A HREF="http://www.streetimports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.streetimports.com</A> has KLZE's for ~1200 if you're a probetalk member I think.
David Coleman
sneed

Post by sneed »

yes i am a probtalk member i actualy waiting for a sopoc member to do the swap so i can steal there kl03. if i ever do the swa i hope soon do i have to swap the axels cant find a strait awnser on this subject. u are alos one of the best people on this board thanks for all the great tips.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EtienneDaoust:<BR><STRONG>I thnik the engine block is a bit longer on the 2.5 so the head wouldn't fit. Just note that if you think about a KLze, you need more than just the engine, you also ne3ed the ecu, cables, distributor... Look for a "complete kit" which include everything you need, just specify you don't need the transmission! I found a complete japanese 2.5 (170hp one) with 40 000 miles for 1400 can (950 us). Just remember it's a heck to make it fit, especially the air intake. For any japanese engine you find, some parts are placed upside down since it's from a right hand drive car.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You don't know jack!<P> :roll: <BR>The K8 is a smaller bore, shorter stroke version of the KL. The heads will fit but see David Coleman's response above for reasons why you shouldn't do this.<BR>You do NOT need the ZE distributor or ECU. Use the K8 distributor with a 2.5 ECU and a 2.5 VAF. <BR>You paid for a 170HP Jap ZE???? Why would you buy one of these when the US spec makes 164 HP? All of the stats I've seen for the Jap ZE is 200. <BR>"It's heck to make it fit."<BR> :roll:
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>I'm pretty sure you'll lose hp. By swapping KL heads onto a K8 block, you gain valve size, but lose compression and all quench area, which is bad. Swapping is so cheap anyways! It can easily be done for under 1000USD!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So...I take it volume of the combustion chambers differ. Will KL valves fit in a K8 head for bump in CR on a KL??
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

KL valves will not fit in a K8 head. No way. The K8 lifters and valve centers are closer together than the KL, so you can't put as big as valves in the K8 head.<P>You use can use stock axles, wiring, sensors, tranny, clutch, motor mounts, spark plugs, manifolds when swapping to a KLxx motor. Make Pat or Luke swap to a ZE, so you can grab their KL-DE. Those Ohio POC guys are great people.
David Coleman

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”