1996 Ford Probe 2.5 V6 engine swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cage

1996 Ford Probe 2.5 V6 engine swap?

Post by Cage »

Hi...<BR> I just bought a 1993 mazda Mx-3 GS with manual transmission. The 1993 Mx-3 has a dead engine. I searched high and low for a KL-ZE but to no avail or too costly. I have found a 1996 ford probe 2.5 V6 engine with 83,000. I know this is not the 200 HP version and it is USA not J-Spec but I have little choice at this point...will this engine fit ???<P>Thanks<BR>Jeff M [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
curtklze

Re: 1996 Ford Probe 2.5 V6 engine swap?

Post by curtklze »

yes, It just drops in no problem.(except the <BR>exhaust manifolds)<P>To get the most out of it you should get a <BR>1992-1995 V.A.F sensor and ecm from a probe or MX-6.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

You might have to swap some of the coolant temp sensors as well. :)
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

David, what are some signs of the need to change the coolant temp. sensors?<BR>I think I may need to do that...
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Fan wont kick on and the check engine light will be on, also the temp guage may not work.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

The 94 and under MX-3 has 3 sensors on the coolant inlet pipe(top front of engine).<BR>My car is a 95 and it only has 2.<P>96 and up all kl engines have 2, so you have to switch the coolant intake pipe from your 1.8 to the new 2.5 so that you will have all your sensors.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Whooo Hooo I was so glad to find this message here.... this is great stuff. <P>I blew my motor a few years back, and the car has just been sitting.. because the dealer wanted a small fortune (like $4k or more for a new long block 1.8 from japan?!!) and I just could not justify spending that much no matter how much I love this car.<P> So I'd keep saving up money figuring that I'd look into finding something used at a junkyard, and fate being what it is, every time I thought I had enough saved up to replace it, or even start looking into it, something would happen that sucked up all the money.. (loosing jobs, new baby coming, etc, major appliance breaking).. so for over two years, it's been like one minute I'm thinking I've got enough, then next thing I know the money has become 'emergency funds'.. <P>Anyway, I'm once again fully employed, the baby is a year old, and now I'm thinking that hell with a 1.8, if I gotta put a new engine in, why not a 2.5L :D Only problem is that it's dammed hard to come by 626/MX6 2.5L engines.. :D Not sure how long I'll spend at the border these days, but Vancouver is only about 2 hours north of where I live (northeast of Seattle)<P>Speaking of which, while the engine runs, I doubt I want to try getting all the way to Corksport with the way it sounds. Anyone know of a really good shop in the seattle/everett area that could do this sort of work? I've a line on one via the junkyard, but never hurts to have other recommendations!
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”