high idle summertime

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fuzzyboy

high idle summertime

Post by fuzzyboy »

man do i have a lotta problems with this car,i'm looking to find out why it reves high when it is hot in the summer time,like sitting in traffic or driving on the hwy for some time. :mad:
fuzzy red mx-3
CanadianMx-3

Re: high idle summertime

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

Mine does this too except not in traffic. Does anyone know why my car idles at 2000 RPM at cold starts? It also idles at 1000-1200 RPM at regular temperature.Please help.
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

thats weird, when my gs starts it idles at like 1500 but once its warmed up it idles real low like 300-500.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

You should just try adjusting the Idle speed.<P>First have the car at normal operating temp.<BR>Then jump the ten and grd sockets in the diagnostic test connector. This will put the car at base timing and idle. Check the idle rpm's and timing.<P>If the idle is out adjust it by turning the screw in the hole on the top of the throttle body. You may have to turn it quite a bit.<P>Just play with it back and forth untill you get it where you want it.<P>After its set doubble check your timing.<P>DO NOT ADJUST THE THROTTLE STOP SCREW!!! This is what the throttle linkage stops on with the throttle closed. It is set from the factory and will mess make your car run like s--- if not properly set. :eek:
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Its suppose to idle high when its cold, its not suppose to after it cools down. I would clear the computer first before playing with the idle screw. I reset mine and my fan started working properly again. Thank goodness.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

What does you mx idle at cold first thing in the morning? 2000-2200 rpm? I think not. that cannot be normal
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
mattster

Post by mattster »

yeah i think that it is normal for the MX3 to rev high when it is first started. I'd say mine starts out anywhere from 1200-1600 in the mornings. but after some driving it hangs around 600-800... right where it is to be. <P>if you've got some serious idle problems, its always smart to check for cracks, broken vaccume tubes, or anything else out of place. also maybe try reseting your ECU??
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Ya I think most do, I think its an issue of warming up the engine because the K series engine run best when their hot. I think there is a Specific reason, but I can't remember at the moment.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

for my update on this issue i first replaced my tranny fluid and reset my ecu and so far i have not had any idle problems like i use to,but also we have'nt had any really hot weather yet so will soon see if it happens again.<P>oh i also took off my weather stripping from the fire wall where the hood seales to. :D
fuzzy red mx-3
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

how do i reset my ecu?
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

take one of the terminals off the battery and hold your foot on the brake for like 30sec and that should reset the ecu.<P>you can search around the board as well on how to do this. :D :D
fuzzy red mx-3
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

thanx brother, i'll go and try that.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”