Thumping/knocking sound

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
T Biller

Thumping/knocking sound

Post by T Biller »

Here is the scoup. V6 94, There is this thumping/clunking sound that I get usualy when accelerating around a left hand bend, but sometimes also in a straight line or turning right, although not as bad as in a left hander, sometimes even just a vibration in a straight line. I thought it was probably a CV even though it didn't sound quite right, it's a deeper clunk rather than a higher ticking CVs usualy make. Anyway I took it to my mechanic who thought the same as me, so he replaced the CV, $230 CAN parts + labour ($140 US, the excange really sucks these days), anyway the noise almost went away, but I could still hear it under hard acceleration in a lefty and since then it has gradualy got worse again until now it's almost as bad as it was to start with. Any suggestions/similar experiences?
endocyc

Re: Thumping/knocking sound

Post by endocyc »

check all four of your stabalizersone of them may have broken.
DAC 752

Post by DAC 752 »

Almost sounds like the wheel bearing on that side is worn.
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

The stabilizer and mounts are okay and it's a repetitive boom, boom, boom, which I wouldn't think you would get from a stabilizer. The wheel bearings were replaced 3500 Km ago and it did the noise before that, I'm wondering if it could have had a damaged hub or something that they missed when doing the bearing. Also I noticed that after a lefty that really gets it going, I can feel a fair slow frequency vibration, similar to the boom boom in a tight right, so a problem in the left front seems likely. I booked it in for my Mechanic to have a look at on Thurs. so I'll report what he finds then, allthough he didn't see anything else when he did the axle to try fix it.
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

The Mechanic couldn't find anything. Is there anything else it could be? I took a long right hander today (freeway onramp) and got loud booming all th way round, I'm wondering if the right/left thing is just because of where I drive, by nature rights tend to be tight and lefts not so much. It seems to hit it on a medium bend with either fair speed or power, perhaps when the weight is off? Is there any chance it could be my engine mounts 'cuz there is play there, perhaps when the weight shifts over in the corner??? I kinda doubt it but ??? All I know is something large is hitting something else, and I don't know what! :(
Mr. MX6

Post by Mr. MX6 »

Perhaps a warped brake disk/rotor (not very likely)…..Or, I did hear of a mx6 with a sommelier problem that turned out to be the front strut/shockie…
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

sorry to hear of the headache,<BR>my girlfriend recently had a similar problem with her 94' Celica. A low knocking around corners that seemed to change at times to making the sound under different circumstances. the problem ended up to be that she needed new struts. the sound was coming from the valve in the strut that was having problems opening and closing like it should.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
dennisvs

Post by dennisvs »

My engine did the same.
The engine is moving to much in the mounts.
(need other mounts)
The engine was banging the strut bar.
Anyone else got the same problem with the kl-ze and eunos heads?
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

If it's accompanied by vibration could be a broken belt in that tire. To check it, drive very slowly and let go of the wheel and see if the steering wheel wobbles. You could put the wheel on a balancer and check for lumps but that's not free. Also rub your hand around the tire circumfrence to check for high/low spots. A broken belt will wear the strut prematurely which would give you a knocking sound in a turn, with the uneven tire. :shrug:
...does not play well with others.
cameltoe101

Post by cameltoe101 »

i have a very similar problem with my 93 gs V6.
Originally i thought it was the wheel blanace, except that it still makes the rumbling/resonance sound at very low speed..almost until a complete stop... excpet that the noise is toned down by that time.. my steering wheel wobbles the faster i go also...
any suggestions would be appreciated..
thanks.
mark
cameltoe101

Post by cameltoe101 »

i should also point out that all my tires treads are 'feathered' as in the treads lips seem to be raised a little. and when i rotated my tires, almost bald ones to the rear, and better ones to the front, the noise/vibrations got worse... this leads me to believe that over time, the tires smoothed therefore minimizing the effect..
and at one point my sis inflated the tires to 60psi, i put them back to 35 when i noticed...could this have permanently damaged them, or can i hopt that over time the tires will smooth over..
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

You need new tires AND a wheel alignment done.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”