KL-ZE Install Issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

KL-ZE Install Issues

Post by Guest »

Hey guys, just a few quick questions to anybody that's done the KL-ZE swap into their MX-3. I've got the old engine out, I've got the ZE in and mounted, i'm just at the stage of hooking everything back up. On the passenger side where the knock sensor plug, and the water thermosenser and all that hook up, there seems to only be 3 connectors on the ZE yet the wiring i've got for the k8 has 6 plugs. Are these just not connected anywhere's or am i going to have to extend the wires and plug them somewhere else? Only other thing is the alternator. The connector for that doesn't seem to want to fit in, is the alternator going to need to be swapped or is there another way around this?<BR>thanks for the help<BR>Mike
dennisvs

Re: KL-ZE Install Issues

Post by dennisvs »

got the same problem.
Anyone knows?
the k8 has a 1 plug more than the kl-ze
anybody?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Gotta swap the alternator and crank angle sensor. I swapped the knock sensor and water temp sensor with the housing from the K8 also.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
pelado

Post by pelado »

As you have now figured out you screwed yourself when you didn't label the plugs.<p>Look around, you'll figure out where they go.<p>The knock sensor plug on my ZE came out on the driver's, or transmission, side. I just had to move it to the passenger side.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
dennisvs

Post by dennisvs »

Yes, I had the same.
Took the plug to te other side but than I still was missing 1 connection wich is on the metal block itself.
Some mx-3 came with the 3 plugs some with 2.
I have 3 some I have to build it over.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ya, swap the knock sensor (driver's side stock on ZE) to the passenger side of the motor, by the coolant neck. Now swap the crank sensor from the K8 to the KL (located right beside the crank - should be able to get it without taking the timing belt cover off) You should now have 1 extra plug, for the 3rd coolant sensor that isn't on '94+ motors... I've heard you can either tap it yourself or just leave it... I'm not sure.. (I JUST started my ZE for tyhe first time like an hour ago and am having a cooland problem... please check my new post imma put up right after this.....)
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”