Feul Consumption

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mr.hunt

Feul Consumption

Post by mr.hunt »

Right so what the hell. I hear everyone talking about what grade of fuel and so fourth so besides that if I am using alot of fuel where do I start is the fuel filter the first problem or what else could it be. No the story I had my Dad borrow my car (96 mx-3 gs) he drove it home which is like an hour away and back the next day claims he was doing 90km the whole way or just under 50 miles for those south of the border. In total he burnt about 1/2 a tank. Way to much and this just started this week. I also have noticed that it is harder to start and that the odd time the car wants to stall while stop at a light or something though it hasn't just kinda chuged alittle. Anyways so I thought since I did cheap out and bought 87 octane fuel that it might have been the problem or that the Station might do the rip of people thing and add water to there product though they all claim that they don't do that. I have since gone up in grade but still noticing a quicker decrease in feul consumption. nice oxmoron WOW any idea's out there. :o :o
polak_gino

Re: Feul Consumption

Post by polak_gino »

ya im kind of havin the same problem. iv ntoiced that my car is buring more gas and im having the same problem if it satalling a few times at lights . what could be wrong?
> Toronto MX-3 Club
> My Car Audio Install
> ProMazda.com

Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

Sounds like there's a hole somewhere in your intake which is causing the air filter element to get dirty which causes more fuel consumption. Check the air flow meter hose for a hole. If there's a hole, replace the hose and air filter. Very simple to replace yourself, new hose costs $66.62 CDN from a dealship. Basic filter will cost you between $10-$20 CDN. If there isn't a hole or you can't see a hole, go to a Mazda dealership and get a diagnostic. It'll cost you around $100 CDN just for the diagnostic so only do this if you can't see a hole. This should solve your problem.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
pelado

Post by pelado »

Rich, would a hole in the intake hose cause erratic idle speed also?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>Rich, would a hole in the intake hose cause erratic idle speed also?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, it would. If the idle seems to keep jumping and is not a smooth idle, it could be a possiblity but most likely a hole in the intake will cause the car to stall.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”