need for speed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3boy6

need for speed

Post by mx3boy6 »

i gots the 92 gs with a straight pipe, so i figure i got about 135 hp. What would be the next couple of mods I should do to increase HP. Any one got a turbo for a 1.8L. If anyone knows the next couple of things that u would recomend for HP gains, give me a ring back. Thankx SAM
Esper

Re: need for speed

Post by Esper »

cold air intake, spark plugs/wires, phenolic spacers, pulleys, cat-back exhaust(2"). beyond that, NOS, KL-03 or KL-ZE engines, or turbo...check the forced induction forums.
Dude.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

You feel a gain with straight pipes?? I'd think you'd lose almost all your back-pressure and have no low-end power at all...hmmm
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Alt-Tab

Post by Alt-Tab »

Here's Vaughn Nishimura's reply to my post about straight pipes, if you're interested: (from the mazdamx-3owners mailing list)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It is also possible to loose top end power running straight pipe. I<BR>remember when mufflers became mandatory in may classes of racing many<BR>driver actually found that they were gaining as much as 7-15hp on a small<BR>block V-8 by installing chambers mufflers. The same goes with turbocharged<BR>imports many of the one I've talked to see a slight gain in peak power with<BR>a chambered over and open pipe or glasspack mufflers. In dyno testing a<BR>friend found an extra 5-7 hp out of his old Datsun 510 by adjusting the<BR>length of exhaust system with a sliding piece of pipe in the end it worked<BR>out to the length the exhaust had to take through a dynomax turbo muffler<BR>if it was unfolded. Playing around with the airflow calculation software<BR>here at work there is a relationship between diameter, length, air temp and<BR>velocity that affects airflow in ways the may not seem logical to the<BR>average person. Many times a straight pipe is not always the best flowing.<BR>With the exhaust of an internal combustion engine you have additional<BR>variables like pulse frequencies from the firing order of the cylinders,<BR>etc.<P>Vaughn Nishimura<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Taylor<P>1995 Chevy C1500 Dark Blue<BR>* 305 (5.0L V8)<BR>* Hypertech Performance chip<BR>* Dynomax dual exhaust<P>SOLD: 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport - Flame Red<BR>* 3.9L V6 - 175 hp<BR>* Flowmaster dual exhaust<P>I Miss my MX-3:<BR>1992 MX-3 GS Blaze Red

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”