Engine dies out when oil cap is pulled off ++

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
OverDrive

Engine dies out when oil cap is pulled off ++

Post by OverDrive »

Hi folks. The car is a 94 GS Auto with 80,000 kls. Recent work includes new alternator/belt, spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, Engine flush, replaced tranny oil.<P>Is this normal? If I have the car running and pull off the oil cap the engine just dies.<P>Also, I'm noticing a couple noises lately. One sounds almost like low grrrrr noise that seems to come from the area around the vincinity of the alternator belt pulley(could it be the timing belt? Does it make any noise when its going?). I just replaced the alternator and the belt about a month ago though. There is also a slight tapping/knocking noise from the top/front of the engine(valves?).<P>Sorry for all the questions, I'm not very mechanically gifted. :)
white fish

Re: Engine dies out when oil cap is pulled off ++

Post by white fish »

they all die when you remove the oil cap<BR>the noise [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] maybe you put the belt on too tight <BR>the tapping could be HLA's (use 5w30 oil) or it could be the cam friction gear
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG>they all die when you remove the oil cap<BR>the noise [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] maybe you put the belt on too tight <BR>the tapping could be HLA's (use 5w30 oil) or it could be the cam friction gear</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You saying that all cars would die if u pull off engine cap?????? if so my cars dont
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

Whew! I was worried there. Thanks for the information.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Mine doesn't die when the cap is off either
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>Mine doesn't die when the cap is off either</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmmmm, varying opinions :) Whitefish have you tried it with yours? <P>Also, what are HLA's? And if its a cam friction gear how is it fixed? :o Thanks.<P>*edit* I think I got the answer to the "friction gear" thing <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8175/cams.htm" TARGET=_blank>here</A><p>[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: OverDrive ]
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

mine doesnt die but it really doesnt like it. same with the dipstick. i dunno why
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

These that the motors are having issues.. <BR>Are the high mileage engines?
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Cuz your engine is pressurized. If you pull the cap or something, then it can't maintain that pressure to pump the fluids around. That's one of the things a mechanic can check for. They take off the oil cap, and replace it with the pressure gauge thing, to check for leaks or anything.<p>[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: GMGQ ]
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
superslacker

Post by superslacker »

my k8 with 90k miles on it won't like it if i pull off the oil cap, and my older 120k mile K8 would crap out completley if it was taken off. i also think maybe it has to do with the atmospheric pressure of where you're as to whether this happens or not.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Its the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System. For explanation, see this thread

Taking the cap off, or removing the dipstick, puts the crankcase to atmospheric pressure. From the above explanation, this is equivalent to putting a large hole in the intake pipe downstream of the TB. So a whole lot of air gets sucked into the engine which hasn't been measured by the VAF. So the mixture is far too weak, and the engine dies.

If your engine doesn't do this, my guess is that your PCV Valve is stuck shut.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

mine dosent die when i have to oil cap off and mine has 198,xxx miles.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Mine dies.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”