Trouble

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jdag112

Trouble

Post by jdag112 »

My car runs great most of the time but lately it will bogg real bad, like its running on 5 cyl, I have checked most of the obvious, and a local guy around here has said that if my engine is jspec it was designed to run on 100 octane, which you can't get here (92 is best we've got) so I run octane booster with premium fuel, and that has helped but its still doing it once and awhile, if I put my car in neutral and red line it, everything is ok, somtimes it acts up 10 days later, other times it acts up 10 seconds later, weird huh? I am serious about red line, 6500 nothing 7500-8000rpms will clear it right up, for awhile. does anyone have ideas (injectors, trottle body??????????) <BR>Thanks<BR>JG
JJ

Re: Trouble

Post by JJ »

you could try getting ur injector's cleaned. It could possibly not be the gas u say its running and w/o that there is no life. But wut your talking about kinda happened to me too. It would boggle out of no where...i found out through a diagonistic check that my cap & rotor were bad..once i got that it ran great. hope any of this helpz!! <BR>peace<BR>JJ
back alley

Post by back alley »

this is a long shot but you might try using an additive that cleans out any water in the gas tank
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdag112:<BR><STRONG>My car runs great most of the time but lately it will bogg real bad, like its running on 5 cyl, I have checked most of the obvious, and a local guy around here has said that if my engine is jspec it was designed to run on 100 octane, which you can't get here (92 is best we've got) so I run octane booster with premium fuel, and that has helped but its still doing it once and awhile, if I put my car in neutral and red line it, everything is ok, somtimes it acts up 10 days later, other times it acts up 10 seconds later, weird huh? I am serious about red line, 6500 nothing 7500-8000rpms will clear it right up, for awhile. does anyone have ideas (injectors, trottle body??????????) <BR>Thanks<BR>JG</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You mentioned something about a J-Spec engine needing 100 octane.....do you have a KL-ZE? If so, is that true about needing to run it on 100 octane?
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
eunos30xdownunder

Post by eunos30xdownunder »

thats not true completely. <P>J-spec engines do not need 100 octane to run at all. they are fine in the 90's as i have a j spec car and run 90's all the time. Could be the spark plugs... i think i remember someone on here sayin the mx-3s have a problem with your plugs coming loose or some s--- and only running on 5 cyclinders. Check ur plugs make sure they are all fireing and spaced correctly. this could be a simple thing that other have found in the past

Post by Guest »

I had a similar problem with my mx3 two weeks ago and it ended up being my spark plug wires that needed to be changed.<P>Hope this helps<P>Nic :cool:
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

mine doesnt die but it really doesnt like to have the cap off or the dipstick out. i dont know why?
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
marcos matsuda

Post by marcos matsuda »

im having the same problem . i thought it was the spark wires but i got my friend's brend new wires and put on mine and it did the same ( like missing fire some times) then i thought about the dist and a also chanded his dist and put it on mine same problem . then i put mine on his car no problemat all. i did everything i could think of, i also changed the spark plugs and just waisted money on the new bosh +4 spark plugs my old +4 was fine. and i had the same problem. noew what can i try? im going to mix aviation gas with 93octain gas and seee what happen. i holp it solve my problem. any one have any sugestion
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

VRIS?<P>sorry I can't find the link just handy, but as I recall the VRIS system is combining the top ends of like 3 torque curves to get what is in effect a long high flat torque curve.. I remember seeing the graph, and it's sort of like taking a bell curve, copying it twice with an offset to the side each time, and then riding along the tops of the three bells.<P>It stands to reason that if you are seeing something that feels like power being there, going away, and coming back, as the RPM's rise that perhaps what's going on is that your VRIS is not working correctly. This effect could be explained if you are somehow 'missing' the middle resonance setting such that you are getting the tops of only the 1st and 3rd torque curves, and missing the middle one... <P> Just an idea that would fit what's being described. So maybe it's time to check that the VRIS system is working properly
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

my car started to bog down or hesitate when I was pulling away from stationary and gradually got worse till I needed to slip the clutch and rev quite high to get going.It also had real problems idling. It turned out to be a split in the rubber air intake duct,I taped it up and it sorted problem.
1994 MX-3 ZE
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

spend 5 bucks get redline injector cleaner, then you might want to change your oil stuff cleans way too well, check spark plugs you may have leaking valve covers that are fouling your plugs, that is a pain to fix, i popped the hood off to do the rear, anyway good luck
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
vseved

Post by vseved »

As someone already said, check the rubber intake. With time cracks develop and air is sucked in and thean the engine is running lean.
pbr

Post by pbr »

I am having this problem too, dealer has put in two new distributors, and spark plugs and wires, seems when engine gets hot it intermitenly misses badly then goes away. Had a problem with high idle as well, come and goes. Starting to think maybe temperature related, this is obviously not a rare problem, need help, dealer isnt working.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Have problem with rough running and no power with ac on what gizmo is supposed to advance spark or throttle when ac is on? This is causing the problem I think, not the distributor.
sapper

Post by sapper »

Some times I wish we were all still running on Carbourated engines..... ECU this, VRIS That, O2 sensor this TPS That.... Man oh man. Shelby all the way...... But hey. MX3's still rule, no-mater what the problem is.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”