Dumb Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
VizualXTC

Dumb Questions

Post by VizualXTC »

Here are more questions, prolly been answered before.<P>First, I would like to learn about boring my cylinders. Possible? What would it take, and what would I need to buy? Could you also do this on the ZE?<P>What are some reletively inexpensive ($0-$150) ways to boost HP (besides air intake and Exhaust)<P>Is it 100% impossible to install a rotary engine in the MX-3? (i.e. 20B Turbo Rotaty $3999) How much HP does that engine have? I'm sure it is....or difficult as hell. I'm not planning on it (can't afford it) so please, no "Hell no it aint possible dumb a--" replies.<P>If I plan on Turbocharging a KL-ZE would a dual exhaust be a good idea?<P>Where do babies come from?<P>What do Cam's do for your car( SOHC vs. DOHC)?<P>Does a header tubes length and bend, make a difference? Or would it be easy to build custom headers?<P>Why does mommy and daddy lock the bedroom door at night?<P>And finally, what is "mandrel" bend mean? It is a type, quality, or a name?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
killerpickle

Re: Dumb Questions

Post by killerpickle »

hmm, I think I know the mandrel bend answer. Its when they bend a pipe while keeping the same circumfrence all the way through...and circular...no cruching, mashing...<P>umm, the rest...well, search? Im not sure of the answers...maybe the more hp for less then $150. Depending on the age of your wires and plugs, replacing them can regain lost hp...maybe spend like 2-300 and get a performance clutch?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Esper

Post by Esper »

I don't think bends in headers have a great effect, but length definetely does! if you make a custom header you want all pipes from each cylinder to be the same length...difficult, when they all come from different parts of the engine bay and all go to the same spot, but its possible. the physics behind it has something to do with resonance and flow and is waaaay over my head. but if you can do that sort of stuff more power to ya, and make a second one for me! :D ...i don't think you'll find all of those questions using the "search," though...you might wanna ask jeeves or something ;) :eek:
Dude.
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

I am by no means an expert on this, however...<P>All rotary's are rear wheel drive, correct? Therefore it would not only be a matter of installing the engine, but doing a rear wheel drive conversion.. meaning <B>BIG $$$$!!!</B> However, nothing is 100% impossible.. as long as you have the cash...<P>I don't beleive there is any benifit in a dual exhaust, and if you mean dual as in either side of the car, then that is expensive also, bacause, based on my experience, you need to modify the under carriage of the car to fit the dual exhausts... I wanted to do this, but from memory, they would have had to cut out the spare wheel well to fit it in... it'd look awesome though...<P>Babies come from Mummy and Daddy.<P>I have no idea about cams.<P>From memory, header length does make a major difference, not sure if custom ones are worth it though. Do a search in the archives on the <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamx-3owners" TARGET=_blank>Yahoo! Groups</A> page, there'll be heaps of info there.<P>Mummy and Daddy lock the door so when they make babies, they don't get interupted.<P>"Mandrel" is a style of bending. As the previous post says, it basically keeps the same internal diameter all the way through a bend in the pipe. This is used to keep air flow at a maximum. From memory though, it doesn't have a lot of effect until you have a very high performance engine, and is more than likely it will be too costly to be worthwhile...<P>Hope this helps...<P>@ds<p>[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: eunosads ]
- EUNOS 30X -
white fish

Post by white fish »

I know someones going to cut me up but<BR>turbo on a ZE is not as good as turbo on 03 because the ZE has higher compresson
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

turbo is good on anything :)<P>There's a 20b rotary running a t88? turbo...he runs a 7 second quarter mile....Marcos Acosta....sick sick car...even though it's mostly all tubeframe and tires
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
furiousclouds

Post by furiousclouds »

yeah its a eunos cosmo with an mx3 shirt on... marcos acosta made a real winner with that one
93 Mazda MaXimum INTEGRAl<BR>submission to Allah's will above all. speed speed speed for the rest
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

The other answers about mandrel bending are correct. Mandrel bends are made by inserting a round tube inside the pipe while it is bent, so that the pipe is not crushed (the metal is stretched instead). The length of the headers is VERY important. Not only do the pipes need to be the same length, but the length of the runners is very important also. Check out this link to read all about it. <A HREF="http://www.ssheaders.com/header.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ssheaders.com/header.htm</A>
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

about the cams. dual cams equal more valves...sohc 8v, dohc 16v(though i have read of a sohc 16v...anyway) aftermarket cams extend the duration of opening and closing your intake and exhaust ports...letting more air in...and getting more air out. 2 key items in the "more power" thing.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>Is it 100% impossible to install a rotary engine in the MX-3? (i.e. 20B Turbo Rotaty $3999) How much HP does that engine have? I'm sure it is....or difficult as hell. I'm not planning on it (can't afford it) so please, no "Hell no it aint possible dumb a--" replies.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.monito.com/wankel/convert-mazda.html" TARGET=_blank>Converting Mazdas to Rotary Combustion Engines </A><P>Hope this helps some, was just surfing and found it. :cool:
Quartermaster92Y@hotmail.com
***DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!***
fender bent

Post by fender bent »

about the 7 second quarter mile thing.... im sorry but nobodys ever gotton under 10
92 1.8L V-6 red baby rocket
Beargrl614

Post by Beargrl614 »

I saw the 7 second MX-3 at Englishtown. It is fast as anything!! It is definetly around :p
V-TEC--JUST SAY NO
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fender bent:<BR><STRONG>about the 7 second quarter mile thing.... im sorry but nobodys ever gotton under 10</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL, run a search on Marcos Acosta and you will see the 7.74 second MX-3
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”